Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Dark Fuge"

Travis

i was wondering. i have a AC mini that i'd like to use both as a fuge and as a chiller with my iceprobe chiller stuck throughthe top lid. of course this would mean that the lid and chiller will be blocking ant light that might get in from the top. would the comewhat clear plastic of the AC mini be enough to allow some light for me to adequately grow some cheato or cualerpa?

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

On my 5.5 gallon, I have an empty bio-wheel 110 for water movement and to get the heater out of my tank. After reading this, I am wanting to put one of my bio-wheel 165 or 170 on there and throw in some live sand & live rock.

I had always wondered about this very topic. So in part, I am posting to get it back to the top of the list.

Originally posted by bobioden

I have a little bit of everything in the fuge. A couple snails, a couple very small hermits, bristleworms, mini-stars, and anything I find in my tank that i'm not sure of goes in there.  

The light came from Pet Solutions.

Jalli 11" 13w compact strip.  $14.99 the bulb is $5.49

I tried to include the link, but the link didn't work.

It fits the Aquafuge perfectly. I did glue two acrylic strips to the bottom to make it a bit more stable.

Bob

Bob - Have the plastic endcaps on your Jalli cracked?

Mine are just about falling off...

Also, I found that removing the clear plastic splashguard helps with the heat. Instead, I lay a sheet of plexi over the aquafuge - it slows evaporation and I can control the temps by varying the opening.

Originally posted by Superdave

On my 5.5 gallon, I have an empty bio-wheel 110 for water movement and to get the heater out of my tank.  After reading this, I am wanting to put one of my bio-wheel 165 or 170 on there and throw in some live sand & live rock.  

I had always wondered about this very topic.  So in part, I am posting to get it back to the top of the list.

Go ahead with just LR and LS, but get rid of the Bio-Wheels. After time they will be come a Nitrite factroy making alot of the Nitrates rising and you will end up with tons of un wated algae.

HTH

Travis,

I didn't give enough detail. By an empty bio-wheel, I meant no filter catridge and no wheel. I ditched the wheel months ago following that same advice. But thanks anyway!

Archived