Innovative Marine Aquariums

Its Here! JBJ 24g Nanocube

ccjung

Although I'm not a fan of these enclosed systems and personally do not see the aesthetic value of their design (and contrary to embryoguy's broad generalizations, I do in fact care about how my tank looks and I don't just build my set-up based solely on the bottom dollar), I do think that you are doing a great service by informing the faction of nano-reefers who do have such tanks. I respect and value your role and this thread. Look forward to seeing the results when you get some fishies in there!

This response is kinda late, huh? damn. I blame it on the studying! peace!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be able to transfer the live live rock and sand amd plants if get the new 24 gallon tank. If you do it right you might now even have a cycle. I helped a friend set up his 24 gallon last week from his 12 gallon JBJ Cube and there wasn't a cycle. On the other hand, he had clean sand and lots of plants and live rock. The 72 watts would be right at the edge of what could be OK for an anemone.It would depend how much of the light makes it's way down to the bottom or where the anemone decided to stay,

There is a lot of room to add more lights in the 24 gallon for not much costs. You could adding another 72 watts without much trouble and that would make it easiler for your anemone.

Steve

Hi, I was wondering what type of mods you have done to your Nano Cubes? I am new at this and just put a Rio 800 in the back of my 12g DX, other then that I have not done any other mods. I have taken out the bio balls and rings. Should I still run the carbon?

Thanks

As far as lighting, ive done extensive mods. www.nanocustoms.com.

I did the overflow mod, removed bioballs and ceramic. Kept sponge (i know guys, nitrate factory) and carbon. I put some live rock rubble in there.

Im planning on putting a splashguard protected fuge light in the back in early 2005.

Good Luck

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. I do have a few more questions.

1, the overflow mod. I saw it on the link you left, did you do this before you set up or after and what did you use tool wise?

2, you talked about leaving the sponge then said nitrate factory? I was told the bio-balls and rings cause the nitrate levels to rise. Does the sponge cause them to rise too? I have only been set up for 1 1/2 weeks (10 lbs LS and 12 lbs of LR) and all my test results are good except my nitrates are high. I have not put any rubble in the back yet. LFS, told me to keep the lights off to keep the alge down and put some snails in to clean up the alge and of course keep the water changes up.

3. For some reason my hydrometer is reading low, a Coralife unit and the reading of my reef water is at 1.019 yet if I read store bought salt water I keep in a spare container it reads 1.022. Any idea why it has dropped in the reef?

Thanks again for your help,

Fred

I did this before i set up.. It can be done while there is livestock in the tank, just let the water level drop.. the best tool i have found is a "sheet metal nibbler". www.harborfreight.com

The "nitrate" factory.. Just make sure you remember to rinse it every so often. Not putting the bioballs in was a good choice, but since you still have a "mechanical" filter, you must backwash or rinse it out periodically or your nitrates will continue to rise from the built up waste/food accumulating on the filter.

I dont know about the salinity, i hope someone else has some insight..

Good Luck

Chris

Looks like the DX version as it has two sets of 36watt lights, in the same way the 12gdx has two 32 watt versions. I think all of these products by jbj are worthwhile as they unique and in a kitch way very cool iems to have, and to have participated in their phenomanon(butchered that word)

I mean such a huge forray of online sites and new reefers popped up with the old Nano Cubes, can only imagine what this new 24 g will inspire... Personally, I can't wait to see what new mods and alterations come out. CCJung you and I way back I believe were the only ones doing a 96 watt original nano cube if I am not mistaking you for someoen else, but mod the hell out of this thing...lets see what it can do... As soon as one os offered on east coast I am gonna buy it. As far as the detractors, yeah its definately cheaper, wiser and more functional to buy an aga hang a mh over it, but thats never been what modding or what nano cubes were about. Gets all misty eyed thinking of his Nano..lmao here's my old 12g

Thanks Ditch. Im pretty new at nanoing, but have always been a good engineer/fabricator. I took to the cube, liked what it did, and unfortunately the cruddy cooling system on the DX caused me to mod my fans, and then it launched a company...

I plan to add some major upgrades to the 24g when the Second Edition comes out. in the First Edition, I was comfortable going with 144 only, but with the second edition, assuming it will handle heat as well as the DX Second Edition, will most likely get a MH, which I am working on bringing to the Second Edition DX canopy as we speak.

I currently have in my possession and ready to go:

1 x 70w Fulham Highhorse 70 Ballast

1 x 70-150w Bulb Clip

1 x 70w Aqualine 20000K Bulb

I plan on mounting this in its own extruded aluminum enclosure to act as a "heat" sink, and to absorb the initial blast of radiation, and to act as a barrier to the slow conduction of heat to the Heat shield. This will "enclose the light" behind a UV filter.

Then im gonna ventilate the hell out of that canopy..

As promising as this all looks, there are some serious technical and safety issues I need to implement before release to the public.

As for the release of the Second Edition family of hoods, its bittersweet.. On one hand, im glad they reworked the hood, on the other, Im ####ed that they didnt do it sooner.

But, as i have told many of you on this board, fate somehow has a funny way of doing things.. If JBJ had originally released the Second Edition canopy, nanocustoms would not exist (my tank overheated, killed my fish, and I became a modder).

I feel a kinship among us nano-reefers and nanocube owners, and regardless of the success or failure of my venture, I will always be a nano-reefer.

Chris

Chris, I have a few questions for you. I was at Pruess Pets in Haslett, MI. Saw the 24 Gallon and loved it. I have been reading your thread and am willing to wait for your modified 24 gallon with the modifications so I can get the MH lighting. Will you be offering one with moonlights as well ? Also in your origional comments you mentioned "this has room for a remora skimmer", I did not look that close, would an urchin fit ? or will the "so call "new "mini-remora" be out by then ? also, you mention removing the bioballs and such, adding a light for a fuge......... could you expand on this topic and what you are talking about please........ I would really like to know......... Could a MH, Skimmer and a fuge all be put in this one tank at the same time ?

thanks

Hi there. I answer lots of questions about the cube, and unfortunatley have to answer every question robotically. Here it goes..

I have been reading your thread and am willing to wait for your modified 24 gallon with the modifications so I can get the MH lighting. Will you be offering one with moonlights as well ?

>> The MH is not a sure thing, but i am going to attempt it.. Moonlights and moonlight integration is relatively simple, so yes, moonlghts can be added.

Also in your origional comments you mentioned "this has room for a remora skimmer", I did not look that close, would an urchin fit ?

>>Im still thinking the remora may fit, i look at the clearance in the rear area and except for the overflow that returns water back to the tank. If you shaved this, i think it would be able to fit. please note that i said I THINK.. i havent done it yet..

or will the "so call "new "mini-remora" be out by then ?

>> lets hope so..

also, you mention removing the bioballs and such, adding a light for a fuge......... could you expand on this topic and what you are talking about please........ I would really like to know.

>> the theory is, if you place some macroalgae back there with 24/7 lighting it will help in nutrient/phosphate removal. There is room back there to place a light.

........ Could a MH, Skimmer and a fuge all be put in this one tank at the same time ?

>> I think it goes like this

MH and Skimmer.

MH and fuge.

I dont think the skimmer and fuge will fit, but if you really had to, you could. If so, the fuge would have to be before the skimmer (so that the skimmer doesnt remove all the nutrients before the macroalgae gets to it).

Remember there are huge issues to be considered before the MH is released, so that is the number 1 issue to be dealt with.

i dont believe a skimmer and fuge would work at all, cause if u had a skimmer before it the skimmer would take out all the nutrients and if u had the skimmer after it it would suck up all the pods and things u want gettting back in ur tank

I wouldnt want to put a timeframe on it because i dont want to rush to release an inferior or untested product.

I will be doing this on a personal basis in the coming weeks and will chronicle that on Nano-reef, but if I am ever to release it, it will be a product that is robust, and safe enough.

The starting point will be the arrival of the Second Edition 24g hoods, from there we will try to add lots of light.

About the refugium statement, cody is right, its a catch 22.

Thanks

Chris

well in mine right now in the first compartment i have sum phosban and carbon and in the second i have the DYI skimmer by undertheradar and in the third its of course the heater

man it ####ed me off so much i went to jeffs in orange to pick up a stand and they didnt have the one with the metal poles, instead the only had this black one that looked like they made themselves. well i took it but its a lil depressing ;)

Archived