Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Copperband??

MrDumass

I was curious on whether or not a copperband butterfly (juvi) would be a good idea for a 12 gallon Nano? I understand they ae great for Aptasia, and they are a gorgeous fish....

I can always sell him or trade him when he outgrows the tank..

What do you guys think?

Sure.

1. It's pretty hard to find a small copperband.

2. The tank size is honestly too small. I kept a tiny copperband in a 16ga bow. Their behaviour is very erratic and they tend to try and hide a lot.

3. It will wipe out the aiptasia and you will end up culturing the same thing you're trying to eliminate.

If you had a larger tank to move it to, I'd say sure. But there is no garuntee you can sell/trade the fish. Not to mention the fact that you'll fall in love with it.

The copperband is one of my favorite fish. One day I hope to be able to keep one. But for right now, I can't.

I'm not going to tell you that a copperband can't live in a 12ga tank, but watching it is very sad.

totally agree. and on top of what jmt said, they're difficult fish to keep no matter what size tank you have, and placing one in a nano would significantly cut it's chance of survival down.

and i can tell you first-hand that they don't always have a taste for aiptasia ;)

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by MrDumass

I was curious on whether or not a copperband butterfly (juvi) would be a good idea for a 12 gallon Nano? I understand they ae great for Aptasia, and they are a gorgeous fish....

Awnser is given above ... NO :.

A peppermint shrimp (Lystmata wurdemanni) is great against Aipstasia too if you want to get rid of it naturally.

BTW. it needs lot's of LiveRock to survive ... its (main) food comes from there ...

Copperbands are notoriously hard to get to start to feed. And add the cramped space is not a healthy combonation and severly decreases the chance of survival. Goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention they are polyp EATERS and will start devouring corals when they are hungry and their natural food ( aptasia ) Isnt around for them to eat.

Archived