Pod Your Reef

How soon can i add sps?

deacon hemp

I did a search,couldn't find a good answer.My tank is 3 1/2 months

old and my lfs has sweet acro frags right now and really want to

take advantage.My tank has 11 watts per gal and perfect water.

Is this too soon?

ITs not so much of a time matter here, its more like your lighting, 11WPG doesn't mean anything, with Acro colonies, they NEED Metal Halides, nothing less, even though there are people who successfully kept Acro under VHO and PCs you just don't get the same color or growth you would get from Halides. Another thing is that if oyu get a colony from LFS, they are most likely to be wild caught colonies which will have a slim chance in surviving more than a couple of months. If you want to get started with SPS, try frags first, they are normally hardier than any colonies out there. Starter packs are sold by a lot of online sps keepers, in which they are fresh cuts from a aquacultured colony. IMO, try that and you will be happier than buying a wild colony and let it die right in front of your eyes. Its not fun to watch a colony of sps die, cuz they will disappear slowly...hahah.

I think if your numbers are stable ( alk,calcium,salinity, etc) go ahead and try it. Research what SPS you like and make sure you try and give them what they like, such as flow and lighting conditions. Not all SPS are from the reef crest area ( high energy flow or lighting).

Tim

Bump with Jollymoon!! I totally agree... Have you had a green hair algae outbreak yet (this would be my only concern). If you haven't.... is your tank large enough to add a rainford goby? -if it is pick them up as a pair (harvested SPS and rainford)... The reason I'm concerned is that IF this guy was yanked from a reef, he will probably have a little damage, if hair algae starts growing he will have to be SUPER healthy to get rid of it. If he was under extreme lighting this wouldn't be a prob... but since there is so much speculation in regards to PC and SPS growth (I really don't see a clearly logical reason that there is a real difference between the two... and I HIGHLY doubt that directionallity is a prob. -but then again I might be wrong) I would be a little more cautious... But over all I say if you are really willing to watch it go for it! ...WOW... that is the second person today that I am encouraging to put "hard to keep" stuff in their newish nanos... Perhaps it is because I'm getting more comfortable with mine, and realizing that this is really NOT harder than keeping a larger reef, nor is it anywhere near as difficult as everyone else is making it out to be (as long as you keep up water changes and dosing everything will be just fine).

Thanks jollymon for the info,i think my water specs and flow

are good enough i guess i'll try one out and see how it does.

I'm getting a digi cam next week so i will post my first pics.

Archived