Cultivated Reef

Sump/Refuge water level

kimura

I set up a 10g refugium under my 12g tank. I'm using PVC pipes each with a valve control to help adjust water flow. My problem is that during a period of time the last baffle will get low to the point where the powerhead starts to suck up air and then shoots it to the main tank. I've now had to adjust the intake valve to make up for this. It doesn't seem to flow consistently for my. I may have to use a behind the tank type fuge.

Specs': 10g fuge

Viaaqua 1300 powerhead 370gph max head @6ft

top of tank to powerhead is 43" high

Using 1/2" PVC piping for both each with a ball valve

Intake uses a 1" pipe intank for skimming then straight

to the first baffle.

Powerhead is plugged into tha circuit breaker that

shares it with the 18w fuge light and 100w heater.

Another thing, I'll be taking a trip in a month so I need it to be reliable. if that's possible, and on ith's current location there's no way i can make it a gravity feed fuge.

I would not put a ball valve on the overflow line. The point of an overflow is that it only returns as much water as you pump into the main tank. It will never flow too much, so there's no need to restrict it. By allowing the overflow line to flow freely, you will maintain a constant water level.

The ball valve on the pump line can be used to regulate flow through the refugium. As long as your overflow line is unrestricted, this valve will not affect the water level.

Once you've got that taken care of, simply add or remove water until the water level in the refugium is at the height you want.

-Chris

Thanks Jefe, I only used the valve to stop the flow temporarly incase I need to do some work on the fuge. But It seems to be hold just fine now. I don't know what the problem was, but now it's just fine.

I now want to make a behind the tank fuge instead, only for asthetic purposes. I'm also worried that when my god child comes over( comes over alot) she'll be always going into the fuge to play with all the stuff inside. And I just want to see if I can make one:)

Wish me luck!

I know this post doesn't belong here (should be a PM), but I've just got to say it aloud JUST IN CASE someone out there knows what/who I'm talking about.

Everytime i see you, "kimura" an image pops up in my head... the face of my high school calculus teacher ms. kimura. She by far was one of my favorites and from her come some of my fondest hs memories. I should make you an avatar of her from this funny (sort of scary) picture i took of her.

ok that's all, bye!

=brandon

(mr. chris, please don't kill me):(

THAT'S MY WIFE!!!!! no Just kidding:P

Calculus huh? Man, I can't wait to take that class.....NOT! It sounds as if she was a great teacher tho. Well i'm glad my name makes you happy. Enjoy:happy:

Archived