inTank Media Baskets

Purrtty Little Urchin, question.

Mnesarchus

At my LFS I saw beautiful, dark black, very small long-spined sea urchins (about the size of a quarter) and I had to have one. He was on sale for $20. My tank has been set up for 3 weeks and the cycle was done about a week ago. He is really cool, but I understand he will eat my coralline.

The Question: Will he eat my coralline as a last resort (i.e. will he eat the others algae first, THEN move on to eating coralline?)?. I grow algae wicked-fast (about a 1/4" matte every day). Let me know, I apprechiate the help. I'll have pics soon!

Certain urchin spp. will eat coralline. I don't know about the long spine you are talking about in particular. They are GREAT turf eaters (if you have green hair algea, this is def your man!!). However, they are actaully WAY worse than turbos when it comes to knocking things over, and they do grow fairly large. Due to this, they have never been introduced into any of my tanks... But if you are willing to deal with those go for it. As I stated earlier they are great algae eaters (I would doubt, if you have good coralline growth, that he will clear out all of your coralline), and they are quite beautiful!

I just had a black long spine urchin in my nano but i had to get

rid of it due to it knocking over corals!.They also get big pretty quick,I also think that when they eat coraline they spread it too.

He's now in a 130g.

Archived