Cultivated Reef

New 20g pics !! <@'||><

NepTuNe-UsD

Heres a few pics of my 20 that I took today. I wish I had a micro lens to get those super close up shots. Anyways.. hope you guys like them! :D

Here is a full shot of my 20. some of my rockwork fell apart recently so im in the process of redoing it.

Heres a pic of my open brain shot looking down from the top of the tank. I actually had to reduce the red for this picture because it looked artificial. Has great color. For those who have a red open brain I recommend feeding it small pieces of shrimp instead of just pure plankton.

printerdown01

I love the red brain... It is some of the best I have ever seen!! I love watching cleaners when there is food in the tank (I'm now also enjoying watching my nass. snails when there is food in the tank!!).

nice looking frogspawn. i love the way they look. ill probably get a neon frogspawn this coming tuesday for my tank. how many lbs of rock do you have in your tank.

is it posible to have food in the tank that the shrimp can't get to and it will spaz out for hours? Could you put the food in the sump so watter going out to the tank would taste like food?

Hey everyone thanks for the comments! This is my first reef tank so I was really worried that it would be a failure. Fortunately with the help of the members of this site and a lot of research it turned out okay. :) Here are the specs...

Equip:

20 g regular all glass tank

2 x 55 watt PC lights (one 7100k, one actinic blue)

100 watt generic heater

Penguin Powerhead 301 & Rio 180

CPR BakPak 2R with surface skimmer and bubble catcher

Aquaclear 150 used as sump

Livestock:

40 lbs of live fiji rock

3'' live sand

pulsing xenia, green euphyllia divisa, green euphyllia, Euphyllia glabrescens, various mushrooms, caulestrea, button polyps, red open brain, branching bubble coral, sinularia finger leather, porites, and a derasa clam.

1 blue green chromis, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint

temp: 80

sg: 1.025

If there are any questions regarding maintenance or anything feel free to ask!

yeah i have a 20 gal 2

and was wondering what you do to clean it

i have lbs of rocks and some small polyops and some blue hermits and a snail

also i have the little "flat worms" every were how do i deal with these

Originally posted by kgb

yeah i have a 20 gal 2  

and was wondering what you do to clean it  

i have lbs of rocks and some small polyops and some blue hermits and a snail

also i have the little "flat worms" every were how do i deal with these

Hey KGB as far as cleaning the tank goes I usually dont get any unwanted algea growth on the glass of my tank. It does accumulate overtime so I usually just scrape this off with a magnet cleaner about once a month. The trick is keeping the water quality high so that you dont get any unwanted growth. I have a CPR bakpak and an aquaclear with carbon running during the day so it seems to lengthen the time between water changes which I do once every month. As far as flatworms go, ID'ing them is a very long and painful process so you really never know the feeding habits of your flatworms. Some can damage corals while others seem to leave them alone. I would suggest keeping an eye on them. Do you find them attached on any of your corals? Also, are they reproducing out of control? Those two factors alone are reason to rid your tank of them. If it were me, I do not have a taste for flatworms of any type so I would research effective ways of ridding them. Some types of fish eat them, but you might want to research that first.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question or 2...

Where did you get your rock from? Also I am going to be using these lights on my 20gallon high..

JBJ Formosa DX 24" lights1 55W daylight pc, 1 55W actinic pc

I am guessing these will work for similar items? I will be using a Remora C skimmer... along with 2 additional power heads...

Any other items that might work also?

I want to get about 40lbs of rock I do have southdown sand I will seed...

Willmsbrg, I got my rock from a fellow reefer who was selling his entire 20g tank. It was, I believe, originally purchased from an LFS in Los Angeles whose name I have forgotten at the moment.

As far as your lights go... I think they are perfect. I dont even think my actinic bulb is even a true actinic. I think its just a blue bulb that was sold as "actinic". Nevertheless all my corals are thriving including a derasa clam that I have which has grown considerably in the past couple of months. If your bulb is true actinic then im sure your corals will do just as good if not better.

I think having the skimmer helped a ton for me because at one point I had quite a few # of fish. Since then however I added a cheap aquaclear 150 powerhead with carbon in it just to keep my water rediculously clean for my more delicate corals. In my opinion, your lights, the skimmer, the live rock, live sand, and the 2 powerheads is all you really need at the moment.

-NeP???

I thank you for the input.... This will be my first true reef tank.

I had saltwater tanks a LONG time ago..

Your tank Looks great!! I have been doing I think way to much searching for live rock... I am gettting inundated... I believe I will go with Palmettoreef or Gulfview. Unless you might have a better thought.... I was considering transhipped, or at the least completely uncured rock.. I want to get as much life as possible.

Archived