Top Shelf Aquatics

RBTA Placement Help.

Tigahboy

Okay, I just picked up my RBTA from B16A2NR. Also got some nice zoo's. Anyway, I'm home now and started to drip acclimate him. I plan to do so for about 1-1.5 hours.

I need help w/ placement. I had a location in mind, but he is a little bigger than I originally planned for. He is about as wide as my frogspawn...just not as tall. He'll probably get more compact under my lights tho.

Please look at pic and see which location (#1 or #2) would be more ideal.

Description:

#1:

-high flow

-high light - directly below (about 17" under mh) mh pendant

-SPS on either side (he won't be able to reach them tho)

-opportunity to move behind rockwork since there's a lot of space down there

#2:

-med flow

-less direct light, but still bright

-fairly secluded from any other corals

-more "flat" surface space on the rocks

-but would have to move the frogspawn to an area near my candy cane/trumpet; and therefore would need to move my candy cane probably to location #1.

Any help (soon) would be appreciated. If not, I'll just decide on my own, but always good to have extra input! Thanks. Realy appreciate any feedback!

BTAlocation.jpg

Hey Tigahboy. Well let me tell you that both places look like a good position for that RBTA. What I would do is place him in option 1. That way it can catch very good light and grow out those tips.

Thanks Cesar. That's where I originally was gonna place it. It would save me from the trouble of moving around stuff. But the accessibility to the back-side of my rockwork and to SPS makes me a little concerned...hmmm.

Anyone else like to make a vote? I can make a better decision if I can hear lots of different responses. Where's uchiha and his wicked fast respones? haha.

my exeperience with BTA's are: they'll move the first chance they get. if you're lucky they'll stay where you place them, but eventually, one day or another they WILL move.

some of em go all over the tank, others only move a few inches. try placing it where you think is the best, and if the BTA likes it, it should stay planted. if not, the BTA will find another area that better suits its demands.

Reefer Addict

The issues is less of placement for the anemone will move to a spot that it feels comfortable. What you need to keep an eye out for is when it is on the constant move. This is one sign that they are not happy, for whatever reason (lighting, flow, etc.), with their environment.

True...I guess I was just trying to "predict" which of the 2 he would be most happiest from the beginning to hopefully minimize such movement. But if there really is no predictor of such...then I guess I'll just have to arbitrarily pick one and cross my fingers.

actually wait...both are high light, med flow. haha...it's cool...I'll pick location #1 since it has the highest light....and if he does move around to the back of my rockwork. so be it. as long as my clowns have a new host, instead of bothering my frogspawn and elegance, it's all good.

Thanks again for your input.

• 5 weeks later...

Sold it ? i tot you just bought it tigahboy? anyway mines moving around alot too, it did like when over a couple of corals but not much damage done, i've got to get rid of it too, would it affect the clown that is hosting it? scared he'll be stressed out since theres no more anemone to host.

Yeah. I purchased some expensive frags and I really didn't want to lose them to the RBTA which isn't as expensive. So that was a very short experience. =)

No, you don't have to worry about the clowns. They are perfectly fine without an anemone. And they will likely find something else to host anyway. Good luck with your RBTA!

Archived