SaltCritters.com

anemone ID

Jbritt

Hi everyone, I got a couple anemonies on a piece of polyped live rock that I bought from the lfs. I have a feeling they might be bubble tipped but I'm relatively new to the hobby. they seem to be doing well at any rate. Should I try feeding them some frozen brine shrimp or just leave them be, thanks.

whoops forgot the picture, will post now :)

10175Dscf0203resize-med.jpg

It looks like a pest anemone. If it is get rid of it dude. Specially that close to your polyps. If it is a the pest anemone I think it's called *aptasia* (spelling)

Majano I believe. A nuisance anemone... they are supposed to sting other corals, but I haven't noticed that in my tank. Don't need to feed it, most people would squirt it with calcium to kill it.

wow quick replies, thanks guys. There is actually a second one hiding in that group too. It doesn't seem to be bothering the coral at all but I'm not exactly sure how I would know if it were stinging the coral or not.

You know what Im not sure either but just the fact knowing that anemones have a real strong sting I wouldn't risk it. They say that if they sting something you can see the other coral shrink up a bit.

I saw an article online that suggested injecting lemon juice concentrate into them to kill them, can I not just rip the suckers off the rock and flush them?

I say no to the lemon juice. Im no expert, but that can do some damage to your tank. I've heard of people using a liquid named Joe's Juice. They say it works, but I've never used anything like that.

the problem with the lemon juice is that you need to inject it directly into the anemone, the lemon juice is such a small amount that i dont think it would do any harm to the tank. you shouldnt rip it out of the rock, that is a very bad idea. it will probalby just cause more of them in your tank.

i doesn't look like aptasia. i have aptasia in my nano and i used a special product that workes great. its a poison, only poison for those anemone, its totaly reef safe and doesnt harm any corals. its called "stop aptasia". it even has a pic. of aptasia anemones on the bottle. you simply shoot the poision 2-3 time (or until dead) and they die!

Archived