Top Shelf Aquatics

A College Kid's Nanocube

prettyflywhiteguy

prettyflywhiteguy

well.. this is my second attempt to get a tank up and running, so far I'm doing infinitely better than last time now that I'm equiped with a RO unit, buffers, and accurate testing equipment

Full Tank Shot

9369fullnov04.JPG

Eagle Eyes

DSC384.th.jpg

Mustafa Shrooms

DSC388.th.jpg

Red Shrooms

DSC390.th.jpg

Orange Linkia

DSC387.th.jpg

Total Livestock:

Eagle Eye Zoos

Electric Yellow Zoos

Orange Crush Zoos

Mustafa Mushrooms

Red Mushrooms

Orange Linkia Star

1 Small Emerald Crab

10 Tiny Blueleg Hermits

10 Small Astrea Snails

Equipment Specs:

48w Powercompacts (24 50/50, 24 Actinic Blue)

Standard JBJ Nanocube Powerhead, Modded Overflow to back compartment filled with rubble and a bag of carbon

Tank is 2 months out of cycle.

Flame away.. err.. post comments

In this case, I would have to agree that given the enormous ammounts of algae build up, either you just added alot of rock, or your cycle isn't finished yet. Another reason for the cloudiness could be way over feeding your tank. I do know that when you add a bit more light to a tank that it can cause an algae bloom, but it seems like you either may not have any turbo snails to eat that stuff...I suggest a queen conch. I had one and it eliminated my algae problems.

Keep at it man, persistance is the name of the game.

prettyflywhiteguy

the fact that it's cloudy is my lousy camera skills.. the water is crystal clear. i just need to get my 5 megapixel Sony POS to recognize that...

I don't feed at all, the tanks been stable and cycled for 2 months, but the crabs have only been in there for a week and the snails have only been there for 2 days. and they've done amazing things for the algae problem

the red shrooms do look like they're in poor shape, fact of the matter is they were in much worse shape when i rescued them, what you see is a dramatic improvement, the mustafas are looking just fine though and my zoos all opened up while they were acclimating..

I hear that...sounds like you suffer from the same sony problem that I do. Corals are funny aren't they; they can be happy one minute but as soon as the camera pops out they stick their tounges out.

prettyflywhiteguy

yeah.. the camera works great for everything except pics of my tanks, it makes everything look terrible no matter what's actually going on... shows color nicely though

prettyflywhiteguy

*update* the red shrooms aren't liking direct lighting at all.. they're all folded up and almost look like candy cane LPS... but anyway agea's getting better and better every day, will post pics tomorrow

prettyflywhiteguy

the tank has been cycled and stable for 2 months, this tank has been running for 10 months, i jumped the gun on a cycle once and it backlashed on me, i let it stablize and sit running with no livestock for 2 months this time, and it's doing well. I have baby dusters and pods all over everything.

nitrates are below 10 and nitrite reads zero the tank's had livestock in it for a week and the highest my nitrate has gone is 15.

the problem was phosphates, which are being taken care of by a new RO unit (i wasn't using RO water) and in the interim i'm running Kent phosphate sponge in my filter area.

about the red shrooms, one of them is splitting and the others have reinflated and look great.. i think they just expelled a lot of crap

I'm also considering giving my linkia away to someone with a bigger tank, i don't want to have him starve to death mandarin style in my nano, which all the research i've been doing says he will... if anyone in the NY area has a big tank and could pick him up he's free to a good home.

new coral pics coming next week, I'm borrowing a friends camera to see if i can get any better results.

Originally posted by reefer2

in my say it needs cycle for 4 months but any way your camera is like mine it can't take pics damn camera

nice tak btw

IMO you souldnt go by, months all tanks are differnt (well kinda...) and if you put fully cured live rock (enough of it at least) your cycle will be short, maybe even a week because the rock alread has alot of beceria on it... not to like sound bad or anything, just saying i wouldnt go with that rule.

but you have kinda alot of algea.... (not reefer2 but prettyflywhiteguy, and your red shrooms dont look too good...)

prettyflywhiteguy

i guess people on this forum haven't learned to read... the weird symbols that are on here with the pictures.. those are roman letters. the majority of the western world uses this character set. these letters are strung into words that are in turn put together into sentences used to communicate ideas. Ideas such as that the mushrooms are doing a great deal better and the algae is under controll... more pictures to come next week

*prays for literacy to permeate the internet*X)

prettyflywhiteguy

f**k!

just got home from thanksgiving, I'd been at my dad's place for a few days and my foolproof lighting timer decided not to time correctly... and left my lights on for 3 days throwing my autotopoff out of whack and leaving my sump next to empty..

*casualty report*

The Linkia didn't tolerate the salinity spike, and the mushrooms didn't enjoy the consistent light. I don't think the zoos noticed the lights didn't go off.. god i love zoos...

anyway, as promised i borrowed a different camera and got the idea of using the underwater housing i have for mine.. I use it for scuba a lot so i guess i could use it for macro shots of my tank without trouble, I'll take those once the mushrooms are done being in shock

• 3 weeks later...
prettyflywhiteguy

it's been a little over a month since my last post... and still no good pics, i have a full tank pic just to show the progress...

since the last pics were taken.. the star and the mussa mushrooms bit it, since then I've added several new things..

1 Purple toadstool

1 purple toadstool with green polyps

1 yellow/green/purple leather.. this thing can't decide what color it wants to be

1 Yellow toadstool

1 rock of "Zombie People Eaters" they look like PPEs with white spots

1 mixed Zoo Rock, has blue/orange and lime green/hunter green polyps on it

1 Pink Fungia

1 half dead blue/purple candy cane

1 bright green mushroom rock

and 2 mexican turbos...

will snap some pics when it gets dark here

prettyflywhiteguy

for the overflow i just filled the intake grates with silicone and dremeled teeth into the top of the back wall, obviously this was done before setup.. i find that having the overflow keeps enough water moving at the surface that no scum can build up, it's nice and easy to do

prettyflywhiteguy

my girlfrend had an early christmas gift delivered to me this morning.. a trio of fire shrimp.. acclimating in a bucket as I type...

i'm convinced that she loves me :D

Archived