Top Shelf Aquatics

I snared some new pics

cmoreash

Hey, got new pics of the 29g. I tried making them bigger this time, I think they look nicer.

I didn't use a flash either, that worked out well enough.

AND i didn't edit color :P (not sayin anyone else does that ;))

well here we go.

whole tank shot

the coralline is starting to really take off. heh, I need more frags ;)

9-29reef1.jpg

Hey I noticed that you and I have the same lighting fixture. I bought it off ebay- 2 x 55w PCs. Question: Does your fixture have a glass or acrylic sheet covering the lights or is it just bare? I had to add a glass sheet on top of my tank and it sucks. Also, do you set the lights directly on top of the tank or do you add a spacer to lift if off the top a little? Nice tank by the way...

Wow, tanks looking great. Lovely brain coral. I have those same orange centered cutton polyps. They sure do look nice under the actinics dont they?

keep up the good work. :)

You got nice brains and yes, er *cough* sexy zoos! hehe

Nice tank cmore... the aquascaping is sweet. Make sure you post a pic when you get your canopy built, gotta check it out ;)

Chromis, I got 45 pounds of live rock from fishsupply , and i've also bought around 12 pounds from Aquarium Arts. Mind you, most of that rock is in my 5.5g.

Glazer, yea, my brains are doing great, but as you probably saw on RC, my zoos are melting away, and i have no idea what's wrong :*(

more info

I am HOPING to get started on the canopy next week sometime, I HOPE to have enough money for my halide by then, I want to get that first, then design my hood. I am thinking partially open in the back, having a few fans, and 2 opening hinged doors in the front. I'm not sure what kind of wood i want to use, but I am probably gonna paint it black, and the inside white.

What kind of paint should I be using, and what won't melt on the inside of the the canopy? If i do paint, do I need to seal it with something too? Thanks a lot.

cmore,

Hard for me to recommend materials to use for finishing as I use industial/professional grade coatings and ya just can't pick that stuff up at Home Depot,hehe As far as wood goes...use what you can afford, personally for the aquarium enviroment my first choice is always mahogany. If you are just going to paint it I myself would use a good grade of plywood. You can trim out any exposed edges with solid wood or edge banding. Prolly best if you went with a quality oil-based paint and DEFINITELY prime it first... use mfg.'s recommended primer. Good sanding between coats is key as well... I would go a minimum of three coats inside and out. Something you might consider as well is using a black laminate, white for the inside. There is tons of colors and textures available and it holds up really well. I have done a few this way and then siliconed the inner joints of the hood to keep any moisture out. Did a hood this way over five years ago and it still looks brand new.

very good looking feather polyps. yup they are pinkish and not white (something about the camera or light perhaps?). tank is great overall. it's young tank too right?

Archived