Pod Your Reef

Mushroom?

Jodygirl

Can anyone tell me what kind of mushroom this is? I went to the LFS today and brought a new rock and these were attached to it. I am assuming that they are mushrooms becasue that is what they told me they were... They were in there LR tank so the sold it to me for there live rock price instead of the mushroom price. And what do i need to do to get them to open?

2 of the close mushrooms

shroom.jpg

Entire piece of rock

shroom-rock.jpg

it is definatly not a mushroom. I know for a fact that fish stores have a tendency to throw dying coral skeletal remains in live rock vats, and it looks as if you have a big chunk of one. I bought a dying bubble coral that i found upside down in a live rock vat from my lfs. From what is still alive it looks real nice, and it is definatly possible to regrow dying corals too..just keep an eye on it

Oh my! the LFS said that they were mushrooms. :o

Anyhow, if you give this coral some tender loving care then there is no reason why it can't make a full recovery. It prefers medium lighting and not too strong a flow. What does it look like when the lights are out, does it extend any feeding tentacles? If it does then you could try offering it small pieces of shrimp. That'll certainly help beef it up a bit.

Best of luck with it.

Ann

definately in the brain family. Definatly a labophilya. GIve it plenty to eat . IE: silver sides , mysisy shrimp, frozen brine, cyclopeez.

dont let any part of it become shadowed or it will die on that part they require alot of light and medium water flow.

Archived