Top Shelf Aquatics

Hitchhiker coral on mushroom rock

thebrian

19749b0e96a1179ae5351deca6c77fce0_full.jpg

In the very center of th picture. White/offwhite/tan translucent thing with two thing's sticking out that slightly resemble closed up polyps. I'm assuming its a coral. Not too sure what it is really though.

What is it? If you can tell me for sure, then I'll give you a cookie (well, probably not, because the cookie would probably be stale by the time it got to you, but hey...).

That looks like a tunicate. A tunicate is a very delicate creature that filter feeds. however, if it does not recoil when touched, it may be something else. Is it soft? is it porous? tell me more about it and i'll see what it is. It looks like a tunicate, though...

I looked up tunicates, and it definately looks like one. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. That being said, what should I do to help this thing survive? Anything? Do they have special needs at all?

I agree, looks like a tunicate to me too. They are extremely beautiful and surprisingly complex animals which are sadly extremely difficult to maintain in captivity. Most filter feed on dissolved organics and bacteria. If you have a mature sand bed then the tunicate would benefit from you giving the sand a bit of a stir. They also tend to do a bit better in tanks that are not skimmed.

Best of luck with it.

Ann

Archived