inTank Media Baskets

Tigahboy's 52g Planning Phase

Tigahboy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tigahboy, if you need someone to build you a custom made stand let me know. I know someone that can give you a deal that you cant resist. As a matter of fact it's my dad. Haha. He's been in the bussiness for over 30 years. He used to do office furnitures and now he does body lifting machines. But he's very good with carpentry. Just to let you know.

If you can afford 2 seaswirl at two end, you'll have awesome tank. that's what I 've been planning for my next big tank. Instead of using SCWD, I would have a spray bar close to bottomw in the back, this way it will push all the water and all the craps back there out. Now you have a very good circulation for the whole tank.

Cesar, would he be able to make a stand that looks just like the one I have now? You've seen it rite? Black matte - brentwood. They sell it at Jeff's for like $200 for the stand I need...but custom would be nice.

Haha, he can build you house buddy. What ever you want. The only thing is that if you request special wood then that can be more expensive.

Hey Quixsilver. I have looked at the oceansmotions...but soooo expensive. The price it shows doesn't even include the pump....so just for circulation I'd be lookin at around $400...I would totally rather get that than SCWD tho; just can't afford that right now. Thanks for the heads-up tho.

Smokin-Reefer

not to thread jack, but I agree nalbar is a terrific guy! A year ago he sent me one of his trashcan fuge's fedex for FREE! What a guy! Just last week he helped me iron out my overflow problems. It's about as good as its gonna get I think!

now, back on topic!

Tigah, Congrats on getting a new tank! It's always so exciting! Personally, I like your first design with the overflow box. If I had more money when i was setting up my tank, I would have added the box, instead of the elbow. Both work just fine, but the elbow kinda sticks out like a sore thumb ya know? SQWD all the way! I need to order one of those some day. Never seen one work myself but the price seems reasonable .

This may sound stupid, but Check with your acrylic guy to see if all those holes in the back are going to sacrifice the integrity of the tank.

This may sound stupid, but Check with your acrylic guy to see if all those holes in the back are going to sacrifice the integrity of the tank.

No, this is not stupid at all. Very reasonable concern that I myself am a little worried about. I haven't given the acrylic guy my plans yet, so that will definitely be one of my first questions when I do.

SCWD is awesome. I have one on my current set-up...couldn't be happier. The most bang for your buck out of any piece of equipment I got.

hmmm, that is interesting about the holes weakening acrylic.

so if you drill two holes and attach pipes to each and that prevents 'correct' bowing will you get a crack between the holes?

yikes!

i never drill 'inflow' pipes. i use those twisty coupling pipes.

nalbar

Well...I dunno actually for sure if it will decrease the integrity of acrylic...it really depends on the thickness and size. I have 2 1.25" holes in my acrylic 30 long and it's fine. I just worried cuz I wanted at least 7 holes cut into the acrylic and acrylic does bow so I just thought maybe the integrity would be compromised. I use a U-directional tube instead of holes currently for inflow pipes as well. But I wanted it to be completely "clean" around the top and edges...

But if you were being sarcastic bc you know acrylic won't lose its integrity, then ignore what I just said. haha.

• 3 weeks later...
255 255 255 0

bump

any updates on the 14 high 52 gallon tanK?

when u mentioned lights, do u mean its better or does the heat issue overweighs its benefits?

wud a canopy lighting be too hot for such tank? im asking becos it looks like what im diy-ing, only the returns are different

I dont know. 14" is gonna make for a pretty dope tank. My 20long is 14" tall and is plenty. With the 48" length and 18" depth thats gonna make for a pretty slick tank.

Tigahboy,

Hope this input is not too late. Haven't been visiting much on this forum recently.

1) Since you're going 48", I would definitely go 24" deep and wide if you could. I have a 36x18x18 and i really wish i went with a 36x24x24.

2) I'm using 2 gen-x mak4s external pumps rated at 1200gph each. 1 returns from the sump, the other is just a closed loop using a SCWD.

3) For lighting, I use dual 250W SE. If I had more money then, I would have gone dual 250W DE.

I don't know if someone already covered this...I haven't read the whole thread.

Take a look at the Ocean Motions Squirt...cool little current switching device that gives a much more random flow than the sqwd's do.

later

Mike

Originally posted by Madmike

Take a look at the Ocean Motions Squirt...cool little current switching device that gives a much more random flow than the sqwd's do.

later

Mike

That's cool too...Is it expensive though?

Originally posted by Madmike

later

Mike

Sup madmike....i completely agree w/ you about the ocean motion....I was looking at that for my upgrade, but I decided to just use the SCWD's b/c the ocean motions are pretty expensive, and I intend to have 2 separate pumps (1 as return and 1 external just for the closed loop), so I didn't want to invest in a super expensive unit for just 2 inflows.

Secondly, when I was reading on how to install these guys, as soon as I saw the words "dremel" and "soldering iron required" I pushed the "x" on my browser. hahah. I'm not a huge DIY person simply b/c I dont have a lot of time and I live in an apt w/ no need for any of the tools required.

But as I mentioned above, I have made some changes in my planning and the option of an oceans motions is now a possibility since I'm thinking about splitting the return pump into 4 via PVC pipes so they can hang over the top and bring in flow at 4 different points (and of course still keep the 2 holes for circulation by a closed loop).

Still thinking things thru tho. will update my most recent planning/thoughts shortly.

Originally posted by szesteve

That's cool too...Is it expensive though?

Honestly, they aren't SUPER expensive....I just thought they were too expensive at the time b/c I just had my mind set on something super cheap so I could afford the custom-made tank (around $350).

You can find their great product here: http://www.oceansmotions.com

Originally posted by ELGORDOINAVW

Dude I say add another 2" to hieght bringing it to 16", but your plans sound awesome-

I was actually thinking about a 48x18x18 recently... just thought this thread was dead so haven't been posting my updated plans....

But 255 255 255 0 resurrected it from the grave, so i guess I'll just post the updates.

What are your guys' thoughts on the 48x18x18 plan instead of my original 48x15x15?

Originally posted by szesteve

Tigahboy,

Hope this input is not too late. Haven't been visiting much on this forum recently.

1) Since you're going 48", I would definitely go 24" deep and wide if you could. I have a 36x18x18 and i really wish i went with a 36x24x24.

2) I'm using 2 gen-x mak4s external pumps rated at 1200gph each. 1 returns from the sump, the other is just a closed loop using a SCWD.

3) For lighting, I use dual 250W SE. If I had more money then, I would have gone dual 250W DE.

thanks steve for the input! and your post wasn't too late. heheh. I just dont think I'd like 48x24x24...other than the obvious desire to be able to get more corals, i actually have zero problems w/ my current tank's dimension and how it looks. I wouldn't even mind just getting another 30g show, but w/ better plumbing and crap....but yeah..that would be silly. hahah.

I have 250w DE now...but yeah, I need to buy another one for a 48" long I'm thinking....darn...more $$$. =/

Yeah, so now w/ the added 3" to the height and depth...I'm pushing 67.3 gallons.

I hope my apt floor can handle that plus a 20-40g sump/fuge...:|

• 2 weeks later...
255 255 255 0

woohoo! now we are on the same track. im doin my own 48x18x18 w/ 36x18x18 sump. only i m not planning to use closed loop, gonna go with 2-3 PHs instead. i was actually piggyback riding this thread to see if the 14" idea has good support from others b/c i was particularly interested with lighting preferences. hope u post pics of ur new 67g :)

Archived