ReefCleaners.org

retro lighting for an Eclipse 2 hood?

gobies

Well, I think the ballast went on the old Eclipse 2 hood I have. (Yesterday the bulb fired, today it didn't.) So now the question: should I upgrade the hood? or just get the ballast replaced?

This is the 2' long hood. The existing lighting base is designed for two 15w NO fluorescents; it's 18" long and 4" wide. The AHSupply 1x36w system would fit the area, but that seems hardly enough increase in wattage to justify the extra $$.

All the double-bulb retro kits have reflectors that are 7"-8" wide, and this hood piece just doesn't have that much space (5.25" wide, total). But, here's an odd thought...could I put two bulbs "sideways", so that instead of seing both halves of the single bulb you'd see one half of each of two bulbs from straight beneath it? I expect this would result in a bit of light loss, but could that be compensated for with a reflector that would fit in this setup?

(I even looked at 175w MH retro kits... didn't realize the reflectors for those were so dang *big*!)

Has anyone upgraded this particular hood?

BTW: this hood is currently over an "extra" tank that is doing temporary duty during the move. Then it's going to be a hospital tank for a bit...then if I don't upgrade the lighting, the brackish puffers are moving in. If I can upgrade the lighting sufficiently, I might put the nano into this tank (no sps, just lps), or I'll plant the tank.

If your tank is happy and the corals are doing well with the existing system, replace. if ya want to upgrade "to the next level" then do so. Just be aware when you do there can be conciquences involved.;)

Archived