inTank Media Baskets

open brain q

bowfront26

I've had an open brain for about 6 months now. I was looking at the base of the brain and noticed that right above the shell at the points where the flesh folds down and forms a lobe that their is some skeleton showing. I don't think anything is wrong with it, it seems fine, opens up all they way, eats, nice color. Is this normal? It is not just in one spot... all the lobes have about 1/4 " of skeleton showing.

Normally there will be tissue on the brain which extends all the way down and can even cover the underside of the brain with a very thin layer. It's not always on all brains, but if yours does you can almost guarantee it's health.

If a little skeleton is poking out, then I would not worry too much. The big thing is to keep algae from growing on that skeleton, because that will irritate the brain and make it almost impossible for the tissue to regain ground on that portion.

Continue to monitor it and occasionally feed the brain with some meaty pieces of food and I think you will be fine.

HTH

Archived