inTank Media Baskets

SPS under PC's

shadofax69

Meercat_Maric

I dont have any SPS in my tank as yet, but i'm running a 130watt PC quad 10,000K bulbs. You can get away with some sps under a 96 watt quad such as rics, GSP's and zoo's etc..

CHeck out the corals section on this site under 'information' for a better idea as to what you can get...

Good luck!

Last time I checked Rics, GSP and zoos are not SPS corals. SPS is Small polyp Stony corals. Rics GSP and Zoos would be fine under 24 - 32 watt PC lighting. If you want to keep SPS I would just upgrade to MH

I was just going to do low light SPS like monti caps and digitats maybe a hydnophora or something. Another ? are BTA's mostly photosynthetic or do they rely on food. I would really like to have an anemone but want to make sure it will do well.

Thanks

I have a couple acropora in my 12G Nano running 88Watts of power compacts. I have them way up near the top closest to the lights as possible. I've had them for several weeks now, and so far so good. The polyps come out and look really fluffy when the lights are on...they appear to be healthy.

You'll be fine with caps and digi's. Hydno I haven't kept under PC personally so i can't speak from experience about that. BTA's need food. Silversides are what I'd feed them if you get one.

Cool thread! I keep A Montiporra and a Bali Slimer under 96 watts of pc in a nano cube. right at the top. They do fine, nice orange/pink monti and green/yellow bali slimer. take care.

Ok, if we aren't going to search, then here's a suggestion to make the thread more informative. Post the types of SPS you've kept under PC's, and also tell us how long you've had them and what kind of coloration they have. I'll start.

I had some unkown type of Acropora in my 20 gallon under 130 watts of PC's for about a month. It was brown, and eventually receded because of lack of light (the tank was very mature). I now have lots of SPS (Acros and Monti's) under metal halides, some have been there for 3+ months (still a relatively new tank), and they grow like weeds and are very colorful.

redneckvampire

It can be done. I'm doing it under 128 watts PC (96w quad 5050 & 32w dual actinic). It looks healthy and is growing. However I tried this as a test to see if it could be done. I got a small frag that was the darkest green I could find. It's now a pale pastel green. Don't expect SPS grown under halides or more intense lighting to look the same in your tank once they've acclimated.

Fred that is a nice tank but I have a couple of observations:

First, excellent aquascaping!

Second, most of the Acro's in that tank were not incrusted at the base, which to me suggest 1 of 2 things. 1) That the acros were new additions and whether or not they'll brown is yet to be seen. Or 2) The lack of light intensity has greatly slowed there growth....aka bad husbandry!

No one is saying it can't be done...it can! The issue is the blanket question "Can I keep SPS under PC?" It's kind like your kid asking if he/she can keep a mammal as a pet? Hamster, Cat, Dog, Beaver, Elk, Water buffulo, Blue Whale?

Everything has its "optium" husbandry....Montis (and other low light SPS) can be kept just fine under enough PC....will their color and growth be the same as if they were under MH...NO! Acros should be left for VHO, T5, or MH tanks.

If you looking for examples of SPS under PC...try Brooklyn Johnny's 10ga (72W PC)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...Brooklyn+Johnny

OntheFly : Pet dectective.......busting newbies every where!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably are less than a month old in the tank though. good catch.

I just think it all comes down to the original question: "Can you keep SPS under PC's?". I think we've answered that specific question as a YES. I think the argument comes in when we start saying, "Should you keep SPS under PC's?" and "How successfully can SPS be kept under PC's?" or even "How hard is it to keep SPS under PC's?". I think these are all far more valid questions than "Can you....?".

Cheers,

Fred

Unfortunately...I also feel that the answer to most of those other questions is "yes" as well, OTF..lol.

Although..as far as an answer to "how hard is it?", I think the answer is "harder than under MH" and "requires more dilligent supplemental feeding".

Cheers,

Fred

Archived