Coral Vue Hydros

Weird Citron Goby

rmedtr6

I have had a Citron Goby in my 7 gal Nano for about 3 weeks now. Over the past week he has been acting very strange. He doesn't really sit on any of the live rock anymore. For a few days he swam from the top of the tank to the bottom catching the current from my PH. Now he sits on the glass sideways facing into the current from the same PH. I had been feeding him frozen brine shrimp every other day but was told that it didn't have enough nutrients for him. I picked up Frozen plankton and Formula 2 today. He still eats and I don't see any spots on him, he's just acting strange. I think I did it to him. I started dosing Kalk last week and I probably put too much in at once and created a huge PH jump. Thats my quess at least. (See other question in regards to dosing in General Discussion). Is there anything I can do to help this guy along? In addition, I will be adding more stress to his life later this week or early next. I am ditching my Protein Skimmer and putting on a HOB refugium. While I am doing this I am also changing out my No Life Live Rock in favor of some from Harbour Aquatics. I figured while all this was going on I would move all inhabitants (5 snails, 9 Hermits, and the Goby) to a spare 10 gal. til I had this one set up. I have heard good things about Harbours LR but was still going to let the tank sit empty for a couple of weeks to cycle. Should I try feeding him something different or is what I have OK? The LFS said the Brine was the way to go. I tried finding Mysis(sp.) shrimp with no luck. Is there any treatments I can add? Thanks in advance

Can't help much with the rest of your questions, but do not feed brine. There is almost no nutrition to be had from brine shrimp. Think of it as eating solely carbs your whole life. Sure, at the end of every day you'd feel full, but a year from now you're start suffering big time from protien deficiences. Happens to fish and corals fed with brine, but few people notice the symptoms.

Stick with mysis, krill, FormulaOne, and other combo foods.

As for your citron's behavior, I assume your tank is well-oxygenated from the skimmer, yes? Usually they'll spend their days in PH currents when they're hurting for O2. I doubt tha'ts the case in your tank, but it's worth a mention.

Archived