Pod Your Reef

the smoking snail....

gobies

I got a new turbo snail today, and added it to the tank according to one of Dr. Ron's suggestions...took it out of the bag, held it to the glass above the water line, and let it go into the tank at its own speed. I think that was a mistake. A couple of hours later, the snail is on the bottom of the tank, and white smoke is coming out of its shell. I picked up the snail to see if it was still alive, and it was, but it did NOT look good. So I moved it back onto the tank wall, and it was there for a while. Ten minutes later, it was back on the sand, and lots of snail smoke was on the bottom of the tank. The snail's body looked like hell -- what little of it I could see around the operculum. I pronounced it dead and took it out. Then I put the Fluval 2 back into the tank with some charcoal and filter felt to clear up the chemical mess.

I'm reminded of a place I worked where the guys would occaisionally fry computer boards -- we'd say the board had "let the magic smoke out" when it got fried and died.

So... what was that white stuff, anyway?

harbingerofthefish

I used the old "old man in a hot tub" method also but everything went fine. Took it 3 days to go down in the tank but it's been 3 weeks and no problems.

As for the white smoke...maybe they sold you a FW snail and the salt dissolved it :

I'm sure it was the salinity difference. I'll ask what their sg is at next time I go there. I'd just topped off my setup, but I suspect my sg was on the high side.

The first turbo I got, I did do the drip acclimate routine. This time, though, I didn't have the time to do it. If I'd realized that we were running late when I was at the lfs, I'd've waited on the snail.

I know I screwed up; I just wanted to post to let the rest of the newbies know what *not* to do!

Archived