Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drilling an AGA Mini Bow 7

johnrbek

Thinking about adding a sump to AGA Mini Bow 7 and was wondering if you can drill these tanks? If so, where and what size hole would you drill...

I'm thinking of installing an in tank over flow around a bulk head fitting. Given the small size of the tank, I'd like to keep the overflow fairly small... Any issues around this? What size is recommended?

Many thanks,

JB

I too wanted to drill my 12g bow. There is a post on how some here did it, but I don't have any tools to do it with. IMO just bring it to a glass shop to have it drilled.

Good Luck. Let us know how it's going.

I'm am trying to decide what to do with my new mini-bow as well. I am thinking of doing a hang on the back refugium like the CPR ones. Only my plan is to have a pump in the tank with a skimmer basket for surface extraction pumping water into the refugium and then a gravity feed back like a power filter returns.... Anyone done anything like this and have tips for me?

Hey Sarnack, I'm gonna make a hang-on-the-back Refug as well. I have a 10g underneath right now, but I want to put one in the back instead. I'm using the same principal as the CPR bak pak2 design w/ skimmer box:D

Good luck with your project:happy:

hey guys one thing to consier if you did an over flow you would have to make it very very small even an inch is goin to take up aloota space in that small of a tank but it would be cool if u ahd one cam

Every LFS I talk to won't do it.. They say the glass is too thin and it will crack... The diamond drill bits are not expensive it's just that the damn Mini Bow cost $60 and I don't want to break it screwing around trying to drill a whole in it myself... Then there's the issue of the overflow... It has to be small enough not to be unsightly and still be functional... If it was a $10 10 gallon, that would be a difft matter... I'd probably take a chance... With all the hassle, you're probably better off going with a 20 gallon tank for $25 and getting that drilled and going from there... I dunno, I'm torn... The other thing is, I don't want to wait 2 weeks for drill bits to arrive in the mail...

JB

Kimura...

If you've got an Eclipse 12, you're in business... Eclipses are acrylic and can be drilled easily with a regular hole saw... Just go to Home Depot/Lowes, go to where the drill bits are, and ask for a hole saw... Pick up your bulk head first and take it with to ensure you get the right size hole saw... After that you're left with setting up the overflow and plumbing... There are places on the web that sell complete overflows and would probably custom make one for you, but they are running at least $40 on the low side... With a little ingenuity, some black acrylic, and a jig saw, you could probably put something together yourself... Then you have the issue of the plumbing... If it you don't do it right, it can be noisy (gurgly..).. Do a search on the web & maybe RC for "stockman" & "standpipe" for possible solutions...

Good luck,

JB

Archived