Innovative Marine Aquariums

Centerpiece Fish...?

Sushi

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fund out some info on this lil guy:

The Pygmy Angelfish is also called the Cherubfish, Cherub Angelfish, or Atlantic Pygmy Angelfish. It is a brilliant sapphire-blue with orange highlights to the face.

The Pygmy Angelfish requires a 30 gallon or larger tank with numerous hiding places and live rock for grazing on microalgae. It may nip at large-polyped stony corals and clam mantles.

The Pygmy Angelfish is an aggressive little angelfish, so it is best to never have more than one male per tank, since they may fight to the death. A breeding pair may be kept, and the Pygmy Angelfish has been bred in an aquarium with success.

The diet of the Pygmy Angelfish should include Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysid or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items. Feed three times daily.

- LiveAquaria.com

Originally posted by Travis

The Pygmy Angelfish requires a 30 gallon or larger tank with numerous hiding places and live rock for grazing on microalgae. It may nip at large-polyped stony corals and clam mantles.

The Pygmy Angelfish is an aggressive little angelfish, so it is best to never have more than one male per tank, since they may fight to the death. A breeding pair may be kept, and the Pygmy Angelfish has been bred in an aquarium with success.

i found THIS THREAD from 2 years ago talking about the possibility of keeping a Cherub in a nano. i think this is thread adds some weight to the other side of the scale

I'll chip in a little bit here. When I had my 20 gallon tall set up, I had a Cherub Angel as my centerpiece fish as well. It was a great fish... stunning coloration, very small, a very active swimmer, one of my favorite fish of all time. I had him for 6 months, and he never once nipped any corals in the tank. Unfortunately, he was overcome by my bastard of a brittle sea star, and I have yet to try another one.

If there is such a thing as a "reef safe" angel, then Cherubs are definitely the best candidate in my experience.

Now you guys are tempting me!!! The 20L is empty w/ the exception of the cleaners right now... I have been ready for fish and coral for over a month... But I can't make up my mind... That angel is really tempting, I have to admit... :-

~Connor~

As most of you know, I am seting up a 20L soon, therefore I might just go ahead and have the Cherub Angel as the "Centerpice Fish" of my tank. I will let you guys know how it goes. Also, do you think it would be ok if it is house with a Yellow Clown Goby and a Maroon Clown, or should I replace the Maroon with a Royal Grama. I already have the lil Yellow Clown Goby in my MB7.

my apologies apple ;)

i thought u were pointing out the fact that they needed 30 ... kinda hard to tell when ur post didn't have additional commentary.

i agree, the pricing on that sucker is too heft, but the "other" Cherub's are around $30 at my LFS... and might be as low as $20 at some others.

The problem still remains of them eating coral, though... I saw 4 different kinds of dwarf angels yesterday, but each one looked as though it would have a field day on any SPS... :-.

Originally posted by Kogut

The problem still remains of them eating coral, though... I saw 4 different kinds of dwarf angels yesterday, but each one looked as though it would have a field day on any SPS... :-.

you are 100% correct. they have hard to predict temperaments, and it's either hit or miss. but, no matter what i read, i see more threads saying the Cherub is the most suitable, than threads that say otherwise ;)

im gona try this fish out sometime, when i feed i have the guts to toss it in w/my clams & SPS/LPS

I like the idea we talked about before, uchiha. I think I'll set up my 10g hospital tank w/ a few polyps I don't care for....maybe even get a hold of a brown sps frag and see what it does in there before placing into main tank.

Archived