SaltCritters.com

Torch Coral Spitting Brown Stuff

DogfacePuffer

I caught my small torch coral frag ( 2 heads only) spitting out brown stuff once night.

What is this? My damsel tried to eat some of the brown jelly-like liquid. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

either extra symbiont algae or crappie. more likely the latter from some partially digested food that the damsel's partial to or still able to stomach :x nothing to worry about imo.

Thanks so much, I thought it was some form of coral poop, but wasn't sure....

I thought it was dying or something, it does it once a week...

(My tank's about 1 mth old so far...)

The damsel took couple of sniffs at it but turned away eventually..

my elegance used poop out all the time. my tang loved eating it to the point of irritating the hell out of the elegance. it was cool at first but then it got to expect to be fed by the coral and even went so far as biting into it, ripping out a chunk by one of the mouths. took about a month to heal. :angry: i immediately consigned the offending tang straight into sump hell. :D

• 2 weeks later...

my torch does this as well. the guys at reefs.org think that it's symbiot algae that the coral is no longer using. they think that it's most likely because you are giving the coral more light than it was recieving at the LFS or where ever you got the coral from. this is what mine looks like when this happens.

torch2.jpg

DogfacePuffer

Yes, that's the way my torch is when it pukes.

Maybe that's why they need some water movement to help sweep that away from them naturally, or something.

I put my torch near the water outlet so when the water moves over it, it can move away the excretions. ( I have an eclipse 12)

Do yall wipe the brown stuff away or let the water take care of it?

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa:o I was just about to do a search for that same thing, Execpt that it's my Closed brain that doing it. I had just got it and maybe a few days later it started to spit out some brown jelly out of some of the mouths. I do have it under a bit more light than at the LFS. I'm also wondering if it's doing better with my feeding mix??? Oh well, it looks great so i'm not too worried, just curious is all.

Archived