SaltCritters.com

Live rock

littlebassett

Hi guys and thank you for the quick replies recieved on my earlier post.

I know have another question!!!

My Live rock was despatched yesterday and was due to arrive today however it has'nt. Firstly will it be ok? Secondly im thinking about keeping seahorses. I've read alot of info but the horse i want requires a temperature of 21oc. Will live rock survive in this or shall i choose another sea horse to have?

Live Rock - depends on the total time in shipment. I would think two or three total days would be okay...the longer in shipment, the longer the cure time. If it's enclosed for more than three days, you'll probably have a scary, smelly mess - which still can be cured, but will take longer and possibly have less growth after curing. With live rock, you want it shipped as soon as possible to preserve as much life as possible (I'm sure you know this).

My first live rock shipment didn't EVER arrive, thanks to FedEx.

Seahorses - Uh...yeah. I wouldn't. I love 'em too, but they're very difficult to keep - everything has to be perfect, all the time. From what I've read, only experts do well with them.

Ross

I second Ross. Unless you have an extream facination with the little guys, that would drive you preform all the nessicary maintanance and feedings, then I wouldn't do it. However, if you do go for it. [deleted section: thanks for the clarification...] You might want to check out OceanRiders.com They have a pretty cool collection (all tank raised). One of the major advantages to this company is that they can already tell you exactly what the sea horse will require as food :-D , as they raised them. Horses prefer branch rock if you have it, and will require you to CAREFULLY select your corals (a lot of coral is not compatable with a sea horse). Some spp. will also require extreamly stable water parameters...

Archived