Cultivated Reef

Adding skimmer to SPS minibow...

footbag

I am about to add a seaclone 100 skimmer to by 7g minibow/17g refugium/sump. I know Seaclones suck, but on this small of a water volume, I'm more afraid of overskimming then underskimming and am familiar with the Seaclone.

I have a number of SPS including many acros. I have been getting decent growth with my new 150w 20K Ushio, but the colors are lacking. I think that the skimmer is the weakest link in my setup. I auto-top off kalk and keep my levels at Ca 400-440 and dKH at 9.9 (trying for 10.~). I also have a PO4 reactor keeping PO4 undetectable. Since the cycle NO3 has been at 0 via the 15g fuge growing caulerpa and cheato. I do 10-20% WC's once every two weeks.

My ?... Will a skimmer really help the color of my corals?

well, i can tell you that it is impossible to overskim an SPS tank, thats what they thrive on, low nutrients.

theoretically speaking, adding a skimmer should make your corals color up better, but there's so many more factors going into it than that it's impossible to say whether or not they actually will.

add more water flow!!!!!

i use a seaclone on my 20 it works fine

if you have a mh bulb and no color w/ actnincs add more water flow thru the corals and wait a week then we will worry about the skimmer

lol, sometimes i get the feeling that the amount of turnover in each tank is equivalent to how much horsepower your car has. for some reason i'm reminded of that every time i hear it, lol.

Archived