SaltCritters.com

Waves?

JROC

Probably not the best luck with a wave-maker in a nano. I have never heard of a wave maker on a small tank, let alone a nano like yours. One powerhead in a 3.5 gallon is definately enough. Two powerheads in a 3.5 gallon would be tough to spread out without making the tank look like a machine.

gaber

Quote: from gabe3eb on 2:51 pm on June 11, 2002[br]Probably not the best luck with a wave-maker in a nano. I have never heard of a wave maker on a small tank, let alone a nano like yours. One powerhead in a 3.5 gallon is definately enough. Two powerheads in a 3.5 gallon would be tough to spread out without making the tank look like a machine.

gaber

Hmmm....I wonder if just going with a real basic cycle timmer on one PH would work out? You are probably right, I just have two lbs. of rock and one mini PH and in the tank now and there is not a ton of reoom left! wait till winter when it is stock and I haev to add the heater!

second2n0ne

You will wear out your PH faster if placed on a timer vs. a wavemaker.  The sudden surge of electricity caused by a timer will put undo stress on you PH's.  Not to say wavemakers don't do the same but they are designed to provide a "softer" switch on than a timer.

Quote: from second2n0ne on 4:24 pm on June 11, 2002[br]You will wear out your PH faster if placed on a timer vs. a wavemaker.  The sudden surge of electricity caused by a timer will put undo stress on you PH's.  Not to say wavemakers don't do the same but they are designed to provide a "softer" switch on than a timer.

Interesting comment. I remember a thread on another reef board years back where a couple of science types got into a long debate over this "soft" switch idea, man it blew my mind! Anyway, not sure what to do but good to get some feedback. I am convinced that it is way way more natural and beneficial to have variations in current as opposed to the same flows constantly - less "dead" spots, better removal of wastes from corals surface, etc.

currently I have one set up in my 29 gallon that is getting ready for fish and it seems to be doning a good job with creating different motions.  I will let you know if it keeps up, cause if it doesn't back it goes.  hopefully it is not a POC as Mr Spam states.  I would think that the TetraTec might be too big for a 3.5, but I have not really looked at those, as the LFS guy said that they had been getting lots of those returned.

Vanillabox I have a tt150 on my 10gal and 5gal.It's not to big for the 5gal.I'm not sure about a 3.5gal.The filter measurements are 9in long x 7in wide x 91/2in tall.Hope that helps.

Archived