inTank Media Baskets

Clown ID - true or false perc?

Tigahboy

Is this a true perc or false perc (ocellaris) clown? He's a tiny guy, between 1"-1.25". I have read various ways to determine if it is a true perc or false perc, but I am still not certain about this little guy. Thanks in advanced!

clownguy.jpg

in my opinion it looks like a "false percula clown"

here's a pic of my True Percula Clown for comparison. notice the deeper black markings, and the white center mark that looks like a "thong" ... the false percs have the center bar that look like granny panties. (if that makes any sense)

attachment.php?s=&postid=346149

anyways, that's how i "try to tell" the diff. between clownfish, there are other ways but the underwear analogy works 75% of the time :) ...depending on the age of your clownfish they might or might not start to develop darker black lines... well, that's just how i try to distinguish it. hope that helps

Hahah...is the thong likeness a reason why you chose the true perc?

Yeah, I figured it was an ocellaris, but the LFS kept insisting it was true perc...but I did get to look at an ocellaris the size of mine recently, but for some reason the gills looked more squarish and jutted out a little at the bottom...mine doesn't have that. But I'm no clown expert.

I don't mind whether it is a true perc or false...but I just want to be sure so I can figure out what to pair it with. Just rather get the exact same kind even if a true/false combo is possible.

scarletknight06

from what i've read the black around the eyes gives it away as being a false perc. tigahboy's true perc has orange eyes, your's black. but i could be wrong

oh...u mean uchiha's has orange eyes....yes...that does seem to be the case. If that's true, that would be a really good (and easy) way to distinguish. thanks for the input!

Archived