Innovative Marine Aquariums

too much livestock?

jhaynes

I have 2 percs, 5 turbos (10 more on the way), 5 scarlet hermits, a fighting conch and a cleaner shirmp as of right now and i will be getting a bta soon, i want to add a neon goby along with a pistol shrimp to all of this in my 26g bow would this be too much for my tank i have a ac500 refug and a aquac remora for filtration.

i think you can get away with more snails... i would mix and match a variety. mainly nass., cerith, astrea, margarita, and turbo snails. i would get about 20-30 snails in total for a tank that size. i think a group of about 10 nass. snails in a clean-up crew is great b/c they stay hidden in the sand bed and help stir it up too. cerith snails also bury in the substrate. the reason why i suggest so many snails is to help keep the rock & glass clean. i have about 1 snail per gallon and my tank is packed with algae :( so i'm just speaking from my experiences and promoting MORE SNAILS! i also wouldn't be afraid of adding another 5-10 hermits to help with the algae.

from the fish standpoint, i think you do not have "too much livestock" with 2 perculas... you can easily add a neon goby (or 2 - 3) without any problems. these fish tend to be low-waste producing fish and i don't see them as adding too much of a bio-load to a 26g.

Blind Tree Frog

5 turbos with 10 more coming? in a 26 gallon? That sounds too much to me based on what I've seen of my 1 turbo in my 10 and recommendations I've seen of 1 turbo every 20 gallons.

I've seen some recommendations that say 1 turbo every 2 gallons, but frankly, I don't believe them. My turbo is restless enough as is and will clear an entire rock in a day. I'd shudder to think what 5 turbos in my tank would do other then starve.

i've got a 250w mh over my tank so lighting isn't a problem i was just more concerned about the bioload if adding so many fish to the tank along with everything else

you can get 6-7 fish in a 26 gallon, but that is of course depending on size, supposedly 13 inches of fish would be the "perfect" amount, but I think w/ all of your filtration you could get away w/ 15-20 inches of fish, but that's depending on the aggresivness.

Archived