Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20H in Cali

uglybuckling

Here it is as of tonight. Halides, check. Shimmer, check.

Image007.jpg

20 gallon "high" tank

Prizm Deluxe skimmer (the surface skimmer attachment is floating around in the tank because I'm lazy)

175W halide (used bulb, too white/yellow for me...new 20000K on the way)

2x Minijet 606

45lb Fiji Premium LR gets here Friday.

--Bucky

I say dump those packages of yeast in there with some barley malt and see what happens....

Other than that looks like you have the beginnigs of a nice tank

Mark

ugly, what brand is that 20k that you're using?.?. i also have a 175watt halide over a 20high, but my bulb is the hamilton 14k. and it's nice, but not as blue as i would have liked. i'd be really interested in seeing a pic of your tank once the bulb has had a chance to burn in. my 14k looked like that for the first week, but then it slowly started to shift towards white. keep us posted with pics as you go.

That's an xM bulb from Hellolights.com. It was $59, which as far as I'm concerned can't be beat. You can also get a 175W ballast for $50 there and a reflector for $30. So that'd be $140 for the whole system....not too bad. (no, I don't work for them, just a fan).

I'm also curious to see if the color changes. The difference between this one (20000K xM) and the one I had before (13000K AB), shown in the above picture, is pretty obvious. Maybe after awhile it'll be more subtle? I dunno. Right now it's very pretty.

I'm going to leave the setup here over Winter break without any attention for 3 weeks. Should be toward the end of my cycle (the LR gets here tomorrow or Sat). Going to take the MH down during that time, because I don't really trust it not to burn the place down. I'll set it up again in early Jan. In the meantime, I've got a 2x65W PC fixture that I'll be using. Since the only thing that'll be in the tank is LR, I was thinking maybe reduced photoperiod or actinics only or something like that....so the tank doesn't get overrun by algae (3 wks without a water change toward the end of the cycle is a bad thing). So yeah. Burn-in, and the accompanying color change, may in my case take awhile due to lack of use.

--B

the color will definitely change. maybe not much, but it will lighten up a bit once it burns in. here's a pic of my 175w 14k bulb on the first day that i got it.

attachment.php?s=&postid=332119

and here's a pic with the same bulb after it burned in, approximately 3 months.... quite a difference.

4817zz8fulltank2-med.jpg

Haha...it is indeed a reg and CO2 tank....it's for my planted FW tank:

fw.jpg

which is right next to the reef. I was considering setting up a Calcium reactor, probably will if I put in a whole lot of SPS...I live right next to TAP plastics (big wholesaler/direct-to-consumer plastics seller) and the parts to build one wouldn't cost more than a few bucks. Then you just split the CO2 line.

Sharp eyes, man.

--B

Did some aquascaping. Not entirely happy with it, but it'll do for now. Probably going to take out a few pieces of rock later, when my gf gets my 7g cube (12x12x12").

Here's what I've got as of now....

Image004.jpg

It's about 20 pieces of rock, all fit together like puzzle pieces, so it's surprisingly stable. None of it actually touches any wall of the tank....in spite of what it looks like.

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

--B

Been playing with rocks for hours. Finally got it to look a little better:

Aquascaping%2010000k%20and%20actinic.jpg

And from the side:

aquascaping%20sideshot.jpg

I'm much happier with it now. There's pretty good ("moderate," I suppose) flow past the left side of the cave (far left side of the tank). This live rock is very near the front, and I'm thinking it would make an awesome place for some zoos.

Shrooms/rics near the bottom, maybe some sun polyps in the cave, and xenia on top of the right mound (next to the power head).

--B

Megalomaniac--thanks.

NewbieReefer--

Maybe I'll have a Calcium reactor eventually...but right now the reg/CO2 is for my planted freshwater tank, which sits next to the reef.

I bought the halide for the shimmer, not because I want to keep stony corals (zoos/polyps, xenia, shrooms, and ricordia are just cooler, IMHO)....so I may not even need a Ca reactor.

There's a pic of the freshwater tank above.

--B

Took a few more pics today before breaking my Smartmedia card or my camera (not sure which yet).

Here's my favorite piece of live rock (from Walt Smith, through reefermadness.us....great rock for the price, very few hitchhikers but lots of multicolored algae, great shapes and sizes):

LR%201.jpg

My sand bed (already covered in LR junk and turning brownish....cleanup crew time!):

sand1.jpg

Then I've got two three things that need IDing (but only two pics). The first two are....

The white thing in the middle of this picture, which is about 1/2" in diameter (sorry for the terrible focus on this one....like I said, camera is kinda broken-ish):

ID%201.jpg

...and the white thing in the center of this picture (used to be pink or orange), almost a full inch across:

ID%202.jpg

The last one is a little worm I saw free-swimming in the water today. He was brown, about 1/4" long, and would wiggle his body back and forth in a sine-wave motion (~~~~~) very rapidly. Definitely not a pod of any sort....kinda wondering what I should do if I see him again.

--B

What happened to your sweet egg crate set-up? Am I confusing this tank for another one? I like what you got nevertheless...how's heat issues for you? What do you do to keep it cool?

The egg-crate thing got scrapped because it was too complicated for me to pull off. I would have had to break so much custom-shaped live rock...and I don't think it'd look very good without corals (e.g. I think it's important that a lot of the rock used have corals on it, else it won't look good).

Heat issues are non-existant for now, since I'm using power compacts. When the halide gets re-set-up (after Winter break, when I start putting corals in) I'll probably leave the windows open and/or put a fan blowing across the water surface. Halide + fan = evaporation city, but you can buy a lot of make-up water for the price of an iceprobe.

--B

• 4 weeks later...

Got some new pics...

Full tank...

Image014.jpg

Right side cave...

Image004.jpg

More zoom...

Image007.jpg

One month of coralline/other algae growth and I've already got that much. I shudder to think what it's going to look like when I get back from break.

--Bucky

The tube goes from a mini-jet 606 into the fuge, because the fuge pump was too strong. I'm going to get a surface skimmer for the AC500 eventually, and I'm hoping that will slow it down some.

--B

Archived