Pod Your Reef

Red Sea Prism

mhossom

I am posting this because I feel like venting. My 1 month old Red Sea Prism skimmer pump has already died. :angry::angry::angry:

Red Sea offered to replace it free of charge. However, my tank will now be skimmer-less for a week while I wait for the new one to be shipped.

Replacement was a nice gesture, but PR only goes so far when you peddling a poorly build pruduct.

Thanks all. I feel much better now.

I agree completely about the skimming. I'm not really worried about my tank. I do regular water changes and have a light bio load.

I am just frustrated that a very new product failed.

Did your prizm lose its prime (due to being unplugged, or power outage) or did it just up and die on you?

I have thought that maybe they could burn out from trying to restart dry, because they just can't handle it. No problems with my Prizm but I always restart it with a keen eye after shutting it off for emptying or cleaning.

It just died on me. I plugged it in after cleaning it and it never started again. The pickup tube and filter chamber were still full of water and no adjustments were made. I just unplugged it to empty the colloection cup.

You may have gotten one of the "old" ones. They've done a few pump revisions from the original releases. They have been trying to get them quieter and more reliable.

Cameron

I bought one and it was SO loud that I turned it off about 2 mins later and sold it on eBay.

That is so funny, I did the same thing. I didn't like it from the start and went with a cpr bakpak for my 38g.

yes i have to agree, i was looking for a skimmer and a fellow club member had a prizm so after trading a couple frags for it. i hooked it up and the motor didn't work. well i took it off cleaned the impeller and still didn't work. well i ended up smacking it around a few times and it now works but once i got it going i kept thinking something was wrong cause it sounded like a skilter filter!. i now want to try the remora if i can get it to fit under the canopy. anyone know how tall they are from top of tank to top of skimmer cup? i know the PM hot 1 is way tall.

PS what color is the new prizm i saw a friends along time ago and they were blue, the one i got is grayish

The prizm does make some air-chewing sounds. What you're hearing is the impeller blades cavitating as they draw air. It's very easy to make it a LOT QUIETER if you put a little muffler on the air intake hose.

At most decent pet shops you can get a little pod-shaped capsule, less than an inch long, filled with filter floss. It's a goofy thing designed to be spliced inline on an air hose to "filter" the air going into your tank. Some power heads come with them, too. (I think filter floss is of questionable value as an air filter, but it does make a good muffler.)

It'll cost about $1.99, it will quiet the PRIZM quite a bit by stopping the resonance sound from the air intake hose.

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
Originally posted by mhossom

However, my tank will now be skimmer-less for a week while I wait for the new one to be shipped.

Good! Now you'll have a week to see the benefits of not skimming :P

I don't know Chris, have you seen what kind of gunk can come out in the collection cup of a skimmer? I don't want that stuff in my tank and having a skimmer on there makes sure that my water is constantly being cleaned even between water changes. My tank is doing super with my Prizm and I haven't had problems with it. But then, if you LIKE doing weekly water changes and letting the water be gunky in between those changes then of course, continue without the skimmer ;)

P.S. I am just messing with you....

Archived