ReefCleaners.org

Yuma's help

coldbolt

yello guys i been here for a wile but i never post. so here my first post .

i have a 16 gl aga with 100 wats pc for lighting . ac 500 refuge wtih powerhead for filtration and water flow. ever one in the tank is doing good expect for my yumas . my green neon yuma has completly disintegrated and i afraid my blue yumas or close behind. they been spiting up slime and looks like there have tears . the sality is about .026 and nitrates, nitrites and ammonia or at 0 on the water test.

excuse my spelling .

thanx you

Cold.

I remember reading somewhere, I think on zoosrus.com that people were having problems with yumas (and floridias) and high salinity. They tended to have melt when SG exceeded 1.025. I have not had that happen to my yumas when the SG went over 1.025 but, that is not to say that it can't happen. There may have been other factors that contributed to their demise.

Is the slime that they are spitting up brown? What do you do for tank maintainance? How long have you had them?

i had the green neon for about a month . i just got the blues last week i (ther was about 5 heads, one looked real stressed from the trip ). i floated them for about half an hour befor i relized one was in bad shap so i put them in . that when every thing went down hill from there . i do 10% water changes once a week ( filter water). and the slime is more white mucus looking . the green neon had it cover it whole body before he fell apart .

Do you just float the bag and then put them in? Or did you do a proper acclimation? ie matching SG, pH, temp... Yumas are alittle less tolerant of quick acclimations than floridias.

I would try lowering the SG to 1.024-.025 slowly and I would put the yumas on the sand bed/bottom in a moderate flow area. HTH

previously, my sg has hit 1.027 but there have been no problems with my yuma. however, after reading about the potential problem, i have lowered it to 1.025. i now get better expansion of the yuma. so i would second the change in sg to 1.025. in addition to low or medium flow areas, yumas don't like direct mh. try moving them to a less well lite area. also if there appears to be health concerns, go ahead and increase the volume of your water changes. should help reduce the problem if there is something in the water.

i was gona do the proper aclimation. slow shift to the new tank, but from past experaince there were dieing in there own wast so i had to get them out of the bag quick . ill check the salt again if to high ill try froping it see if that does any good. since the yumas havn't been looking good i been try to do small water changes every other day. there are in good low flow, ok light section of the tank . i wanst gona try move them.

thank you for all the help >>

Do you know what the water parameters were from the place that you got the yumas? Was there a big change in SG when you introduced them? IME yumas don't like rapid changes to their water parameters.

I would also try running some carbon, that should help with some of the possible pollutants/toxins that the dying yumas released.

pramter been pretty much the same befor and after i put them in . the only big deferents is the salty is lower than it was monday . already but some carbs in monday . the last bit of yummas that are still in there seam to be doing ok . the ricordia i have in with them seams to be doing ok it just doent want to come out of his hole at the moment .

Archived