Cultivated Reef

major weirdness in Korbin's tank

Korbin

Well, I finally bought my first fish for my 12 gallon.:) I got a firefish goby from my LFS. No more than 20 minutes after the fish was in the tank, I noticed my amphipods started swimming around. They would swim right up the front glass, and just cruise around in the water column. Before this, I would only catch glimpses of them as they darted in and out of the rocks.

What I'm worried about is the fact that the fish was in copper-based medication treated water at the LFS. I was careful not to get any water from the bag into my tank. I know there must have been some of the water on and IN the fish when I put it in my tank. Do you think that the copper medication could be affecting my amphipods? Or could it just be the presence of a fish that they are trying to get away from?

Anyway, I'll have some pics of the fish up soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that my corals and inverts don't start dying. X)

they could be scared sh*tless! :P

if you think there's an issue with the copper i'd run some Poly-Filters right away. the lfs's usually carry it at twice the ols do though. some carbon also can't hurt if you can't get the Poly-Filter right away.

sorry, it's a chemical adsorber filter media. it looks like a regular white pad but it can take up ammonia, phos., copper, heavy metals, etc. really useful to klutzs like me. :blush:

www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm

the sonofabatches won't sell me direct in volume. :*( oh well.

their product is the main reason why i always try to have a HOB on my tanks. just in case of some type of emergency. it alos works in canister filters but one of the best things about this product is that it changes COLOR! copper shows up blue/green as it's being ab/adsorbed (whatever). organics turn it brown :x and so on.

I wouldn't worry about it too much maybe a trace amount of water from your fish entered your system, and this trace amount of water had a trace amount of a medication, and this medication had a trace amount of copper. I highly doubt that this would have caused you any problems. If you are nervous about it though, just test the water for copper.Don't have a test? most reputable LFS will test a sample for you. Good luck;)

I wouldn't sweat it. My lfs also coppers their water. I avoided getting any dripping water from the net in my tank but like you say, the fish has some water on/in it. I run poly filter constantly and it never changed the slightest color so I am assuming if there is any copper whatsoever it is so very very small amount that it means nothing.

Archived