inTank Media Baskets

Red Cactus coral

wulffenstein

wulffenstein

I saw what was label as a "Red Cactus Coral" at a LFS today.  I ask the guy and he said he thought it was a type of leather.  It is a deep red with several thick "fingers" coming up.  

It had no pylops that I could see, but they said that they got it in yesterday.  I am suspecting that it is a chili coral and they don't know what they are talking about.  

I am interested in getting it if it is a leather, but wanted some research first.

Here's a picture of true Cactus Coral (Pavona cactus):

http://store6.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1676_470999

It's color can vary, but every example I've seen is some earthen color (brown, tan, yellow, green).  But that doesn't mean red doesn't exist.  

If it really is cactus coral, it's an SPS that feeds primarily through photosynthysis.  However, it requires a lot of light, even for an SPS.

If it doesn't look at all like that picture, I haven't a clue.

Matthew

wulffenstein

It doesn't really look like that.  It has more defined "fingers".  There was about 4 on this piece and they were thick and round.

From the way you are describing it it may be a chilli coral. These seem to come  out more at nightand double in size. I would suggest maybe goin in as soon as the lights have come on and see how big it is. They are actually nice corals but mostly open up in the dark to feed.

HTH

Jeff

(Edited by Stang69 at 12:38 am on June 12, 2002)

wulffenstein

Bingo.  It is a little darker red but I am sure that is it.  I am going to take another look this morning but I think I am going to pass if it is a chili.

It's beautiful but I don't have room to shade it and don't want to go through the hassle of hand feeding it.

Thanks

Archived