Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID this please...I havent got a clue!

Sahin

OK, can anyone ID this coral/anemone type creature?

I have had this on the same position of the rock since I bought the rock piece many months back. The button polpys around it during the light hours, completly cover it, but as it gets dark, this thing comes and out stretches out. I havent got a clue as to what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

unk.jpg

Nope its definately not a feather duster, as it has fleshy tissue, and i have fed it before. I placed a piece of shrimp on it and it closed around the shrimp piece and comsumed it. I believe its a coral or anemone of some sort. I am thinking its some kind of anemone, but one that doesnt require light as i dont see it during the day.

you have a common rock anemone my friend ! its a reletive to the Condylactalic Atlantic anemone. they are similar to Aiptasia, but dont reproduce or become pest as the Aiptasia does. No worries.

Looks like it is stinging your zoanthids to me!! Thus, IMO I would call it a pest... If your polyps that border it are always closed like that there is a problem. If you purposely disturbed the polyps to get a better shot, or they just happened to close for that brief moment in a perfect circle around the anemone then don't worry :| ...

looks just like the giant aiptasia i'm growing in my hospital tank. i want to see how big it'll get.

i agree with printer, it's stinging the zoanthids on the bottom. terminate with extreme prejudice imo. or give it it's own pico reef. :P

edit: nice pic btw! ;)

BustytheSnowMaam

Could it be one of those what they call majano anemones (I've never seen one or seen a pic, just a description, but understand it's a pest)?

Tasha

my vote is a rock anemone.

i have had one for about 5 months & he hasnt hurt anyone.

altho , yours is sitting different & I would consider yours a pest because I know he is stinging those zoan's. either him or the zoan's.:)

It isnt a majano anemone. They look quite different. I have a pic if you want to see a pic tashayar.

About this anemone: I took the pic right before the main light went out. By this time the Anemone comes out, and yes at this point it does disturb the zooanthids. I am going to leave it for the moment.

Archived