Pod Your Reef

urgent help wanted

littlebassett

Hi all

I've just set up a 20 gallon tank.

So far has calcium plus at the bottom( 1 inch deep) The about 3 inches of sand. (20lb of it is live sand). I ordered 10Kg of live rock from http://www.fantasea.co.uk/

It will arrive on Friday!!!!

What shall i do????? Add it straight to my tank?

My local fish store says not to but put it in another tank. Only thing is i do have a spare 10 gallon tank but i only have tropical lighting for it. Please help!!!!!

Thank you

if the rock is cured, you add it to the new tank and let the tank cycle for a month or until the die off spikes and all your water measurements drop back to normal.

If it isn't cured, you need to cure it before adding it to the tank.

If this is a new set up and there is no livestock in the tank, Don't worry about it. Put it in, you don't have to have strong lighting with just rock and sand. Wait a month or two(preferably 2-3 if uncured rock) test weekly as well as water changes. Keep some heavy circulation going over the rocks.When ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are low, your good to go.;)

Its cured rock. Thanks for the advise guys!!!

it will arrive tomorrow so i'll arrange the tank the way i like it and then i will leave it for a two months. remembering to keep an eye on the water.

Thank you!!!

I cured my live rock in my new tank as well. It was mostly cured, and I didn't have much of a cycle at all. I looked like a kid in a candy store when the rock was delivered. My wife thought I was nuts.

Be sure to post pics along the way....

Ross

Archived