SaltCritters.com

Couple more questions about ye' ole nano

ms71171

1. I have a CPR Bak Pak 2R and was wondering if having the air-valve as open as possible is better or should I close it down till the bubbles are more fine. It seems that when I close the air-valve down the the water level goes up. Not quite sure here.

I guess this is a standard skimmer question but could'nt find the exact answer from the search.

2. My nano is starting to finish its intial cycle after about 3 weeks and I introduced some hairy mushrooms. What is the best food for mushrooms or softies in general?

Best hair shroom food in the world: light ;). Seriously they don't need anything else (keep trace elements up). If they do in take anything else it is such low quantities that there is no reason to add anything. Iodine will help enhance the coloration of shrooms. Most of the "easy to keep" softies, will depend almost entirely on light.

IMO, keep the air valve cranked open on the skimmer, more bubbles, more surface contact, more crap removed. To adjust for a dry foam play with the height of the cup.

I'm with printerdown on the best food for hairy mushrooms, LIGHT and good water parameters. ;)

Hmmm... I think he was talking about exhaust bubbles, right ms71171?

I have a Bak Pak 2R on my 10-gal. as well, and I was able to fine-tune my air valve to get minimal bubblage. I still have more than I'd like - a flaw with the Bak Pak design. Other than that, mine's doing a terrific job of skimming.

Ross

Actually I was talking about the riser bubbles. I've never really have had any trouble with exhaust bubbles. Although, they do seem to get worse when I slow the bubbles down. Seems that more water flows through the skimmer when you cut down on the bubble valve.

I have the BakPak2, not the Reef version which some customers have had problems with. I keep the air valve open. Brian4_C, was the link for the Jalli 2x55 fixture I had seen you mention in one of your posts customaquatic.com? They have it for $99,bulbs not included. I e-mailed them about the included stands cuz I too have a 24" long 20gallon and I want to make sure they'll fit. If they do fit, I'm ordering one. Plus they have actinics on sale for $21.

Yeah, J-bass thats the link. Pretty damn good price for 2x55s. Unfortunately, Ipaid more than that for mine. In fact I saw the same light at an LFS for 189.00(NO bulbs included). Somebodys making some money!;)

1. CPR Bak Pak air valve should be adjusted to completely fill up the reaction chamber with bubbles. This may be wide open or it may not. The more bubbles in the reaction chamber = more contact time.

2. Hairy mushrooms love light, but should be feed as well. Mushroom anemones are obligate symbionts with their zooxanthellae. All species filter feed to some extent, the longer the tentacles, the more.

Lightly stroke a polyp and observe it's reaction as a guide to willingness/necessity of feeding. The individual will form-up into a cup if desirous of further feeding. If this is the case, very small amounts of zooplankton can be given. HTH

Haven't seen a larger powerhead, but have seen people add an airstone. Basically drill a hole through the side of the reaction chamber and insert a 90 degree polyflow connector. Silicone it up really good. Attach a piece of rigid pipe on the inside and then attach the airstone. Attach some airline to the outside of the connector, and then attach the air pump to this. Works pretty well. HTH

On the subject of the Bak-Pak has anyone ever added a larger powerhead to it to produce more bubbles?

Alot of people switch to a larger maxijet(900 1200), instead of the Rio. Flow rate is definitely higher, but I'm not sure if it produces more bubbles. ;)

Hey Brian,

I would think you would see a slight increase in bubble formation, but to really benefit from a larger pump you would need to increase the size of the venturi airline as well. Just a thought...

IMO, turn the airvalve off or take it off the PH. Modify it with an air pumpa nd wood airstone, just run your airline thru the chambers and it will work better than any venturi style PH. The bubbles are super fine with less exhaust bubbles. Just use the PH to move the water.

my .02cents:blush:

Archived