Cultivated Reef

November Update on Whitten's tank.

Whitten

I have a few pictures of my tank that I just took, after hanging my new Aqua Medic AquaSpace light. I got the 150 watter, and the 14,000K Setup. I will soon be setting up my 30 gallon Cube and moving the light to it along with all of my rock.

Anyway, here are few pics that I just snapped off.

Enough talking so here are some pics.

5748DSC03193.JPG

5748DSC03191.JPG

5748DSC03192.JPG

5748DSC03201.JPG

very nice. how are you liking the light? I'm thinking of that Aqua Medic light over a 40g or a 30 cube soon when I move. it looks to be a great setup for the money. i was thinking of doing a 20K builb, but that 14K looks awesome, how do you like it?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I too wonder these things... i've been talkign and talking about doing it, but i can't decide... do you have it hanging from the ceiling..?

that 14k has some nice color. but i'll bet that it hasn't even burned in yet. i have a 175 watt se 14k bulb that looked that blue for like the first week or so. after 2+ months, it looks like a 10k bulb with actinic supplements. it still looks very nice, but i think my next bulb will be a 20k. nice tank by the way....

I absolutely love it... there is just no other way to describe the quality of light it gives off. Your right though the bulb still hasn't burned in yet so we will have to see just what it looks like after a month.

To answer Barbe's question yes, I hung it last night with the kit that comes with it. It is surprisingly easy to hang, and I think the method they use for attachment and adjustment is so cool and easy to use. Hell I hung it last night in about 45 minutes...was trying to escape studing for personal finance. All in all it looks absolutely awesome and very clean.

I am going to be definately putting it over my 30 gallon Oceanic Cube in about a month or two so that I can get it out of my room. My room is so bright that it looks like ET is landing in there.

Barbe, if you don't by anything else for you on going adventure buy you one of either the Aquaspace lights or the Ocean lights. I would really suggest the Aquaspace light, but I would not have gotten it had it not been for my LFS giving me this one. To expensive for a college kid if you ask me. But 260.00 for the 250 watt ocean light and 230.00 for the 150.00 at Hello lights is a deal and a half.

Whitten - I've always been a little nervous about getting an MH sett-up. It looks like there's a lot of "spill" from the light you're using. Have you noticed any ill effects? Does it hurt your eyes if you are in the room for a while or if you stare at the tank? How much heat does it put out?

My light is a just a tad to high so yes, the light does spill over a great deal. I imagine that one the corals have gotten aclimated to the light and I move it down closer to the tank that the light spill over won't be near as bad. On the 60 gallon that I am working on for a customer the lights are 8 inches from the water and there is hardly any spill over at all.

To answer your question about your eyes, it is very bright and if you stare at the light too long it will make you see stars. However looking at the tank with the light on is fine. I don't really have any problem with looking directly at the tank. everything is in my room so while it is very bright it is bearable. If the tank were to be in my room for an extened ammount of time I would have to get the lights closer to the tank though.

If you are on the fence about getting the light I would recomend going to the LFS where they have some tanks set up with the lights, or going to friends hous to see what you think.

I for one would recomend this light to anyone. It is easy to hang, and looks good enought to even elicit a " that looks really awesome babe" from my g/f and that is huge.

HAhah, those dusters are absolutely relentless. They go where ever they want.

TRMIV, the kit actually mounts to the ceiling. In the kit you get dry wall anchors and screws, but I decided to get two molly bolts and place them in where the screws were to go. I like the added heft and less worry about the fixture plumeting to it's death in my tank so went over kill and mounted it that way.

I am very impressed with how clean the install looks, and if ya'll would like, I will post pictures of what it looks like hanging from the ceiling.

Ya'll just let me know, I am here to help you in any way. This tank stuff is alot of fun, and any time I can lend a helping hand or an idea it makes me love reef keeping that much more.

Thanks. I wonder if there is a stand that would work? I can't drill holes like that in the ceiling of my apartment, so I couldn't hang it from the ceiling.

Right now I have a 70w MH over my 16g, but it's on a hood with legs. I want to move to a pendant when I upgrade to the 40 though, since it gives a bit more flexibility.

They actually make a wall hanging setup for the hood. I too am in an apartment, and am not supposed to drill holes, but I can just patch them before I move out and they will never know the difference. Look at Aquadirect.com, I think they have the wall hanging stuff for the pendant.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

please post pics of the ceiling...

If you can't stand the light, try one of these on... (looking directly at a DE bulb is really cool... it looks like there's plasma inside the bulb...

Would love to see pics of the ceiling. Got a kick out of your feather dusters...and your sheets. Guess they're seeing stars too.

--B

Well here ya go guys. I tried to get some better pictures, but it wont let me upload pics any larger than this.

5748DSC03224.JPG

5748DSC03223.JPG

Looks pretty smooth huh?

Wow am I tired today, I stayed up playing Halo 2 last night until 4 am. It is the real version not the French or pirated version. All I can say is that it is ten times better than Halo 1. The game is so smooth, and so refined. The multiplayer is simply kick ass, and the campaign is extremely fun.

Sorry guys, we played all night long on Friday. Lets just say I have connections.

So far my favorite thing in the game is a line that the Master Cheif says.

Master Cheif: "Master Cheif requesting to go out side of the ship"

Admiral of the fleet: " absolutely not master chief....might I ask why?"

Master Cheif:" I want to give the Covenant back thei bomb."

Admiral of the fleet: " permission granted."

Air lock opens and master chief jumps out into space with the bomb.

Got my top off setup and I am now dripping a mild ammount of kalkwasser to help improve the coral growth and color in my tank. I am hoping that it will help grow more coraline algae on the back as well. I have been taking about a quarter cup of white vinegar and dissolving 1 teaspoon of Kalk in it to helpp keepp the kalk from precipitating out of solution. When I did that the last time I had coraline all over the back of the tank in no time, but after I stopped it really slowed the growth down.

Are you using auto-topoff? I have been dosing kalk/lime, for about two months with good results, but I don't have the coralline growth I desire. Recently I read about mixing vinegar in with the kalk to keep the kalk from precipitating. This sounds like something that would keep my tank much more stable. I really am curious to see your setup, or if you have any before and after pics to show results. Thanks for any info, keep up the good work, your tank is very nice.

~BH20

Archived