Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with my new angler

russ49merc

I purchased a new angler "warty frog" today but when transfering from bag to tank he sucked in some air. he has a little bubble in his belly and is now floating upside down. he is still breathing and looking around and seems fine but just "FLOATING BELLY UP " SOME TENSE MOMENTS HERE " actually i'm totally freaking out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :(:o :o :o :*( :*( :*(

doesn't sound good if he's floating upside down...

sorry i can't help much but from what you've described above the fish might not have much time left.

you can try pushing on his stomache gently to see if he will release it. I would add some macro algae or something he can attach onto and give it a few days. He will prolly be okay if you make him more comfy. Add live ghost shrimps and a few guppies in a few days, thank you. Oh yeah, lower flow. K thanks

Thank you cery much I have tried pushing on his belly. I have live ghost shrimp in there. It seems smaller and he is kinda perched in the corner by the pump. I have reduced almost all flow in the tank. so i'm crossing my fingers and toes, and whatever else I can cross.

Originally posted by supernip

you can try pushing on his stomache gently to see if he will release it. I would add some macro algae or something he can attach onto and give it a few days. He will prolly be okay if you make him more comfy. Add live ghost shrimps and a few guppies in a few days, thank you. Oh yeah, lower flow. K thanks

It's probably already a death sentence, but you can try to gently hold him under the water while keeping him vertical head up. This way the air might be able to find it's way out on it's own.

How did he get air in his belly?

Good luck.

Originally posted by JustPhish

It's probably already a death sentence, but you can try to gently hold him under the water while keeping him vertical head up.  This way the air might be able to find it's way out on it's own.

How did he get air in his belly?

Good luck.

well gee thanks for being so positive? "It's probably already a death sentence"

and did you read what i posted or what? How did he get air in his belly?

Wow dude, what can I say? I've had quite the day and I accidentally missed your explanation. Are you going to send out a hunter killer team after me now or something?

Also, I apologize I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. Maybe next time when you post you can include a PS or something with responses you feel are appropriate or just what you want someone to tell you and we can avoid such situations?

Thanks!

well no I'm not going to do anything like that . wouldn't you get upset if you paid 90.00 for a fish and it dies the next day. well he did die. and I'm sorry i get upset when fish die.

I apologize I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

"if you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say anything"

with responses you feel are appropriate or just what you want someone to tell you

Don't be an a-ss

I know you don't give a crap but think about other people's feelings when you say things.

I was asking for help not a smart a-ss answer that of oh it's a death sentence. and then not even reading the whole post.

Thank you for your ppost seeing as only 2 people posted out of like 70 that looked at it. I apologise if I snapped but I was just pist off.

OK, since you jumped on my case about not reading your post thoroughly, maybe you should read mine. I said it's probably already a death sentence, but you can try.....

Again man, sorry, but it's the truth. That's one of the main things you have to watch out for with these fish. Swallowing air, and it getting stuck. So next time, if you decide to get another, have the store bag it underwater, and release it under the water. Then all you'll have to worry about is feeding.

HTH and good luck.

some food for thought, if you decide to get another one down the road, you can drip acclimate him for a very long time (2+ hours), and remove some water every half an hour to try and dilute the bag water. once you're satisfied that there's no more bag water (or an insignificant amount) you can just scoop him up with a bowl, or cup and then let him go underwater. thats how i always acclimated puffers, because of the same danger.

btw, JustPhish's advice is probably the best thing you could do in that situation, hold him by his tail so his he is vertical and the bubble should come right out his mouth.

Archived