Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 4mth old nano cube

CindyC

I have read lots of posts and seen lots of member's tanks and have ooohd and aaaghd at all of them.

I am new to this hobby..horses and farm animals first..never thought I would get into "fish"!! Anyway here is my first attempt and I am mighty proud of my 12 gal jbj. By the way, the only thing I have upgraded to this tank is the lights, I have purchased a 56 watt 50/50 retro kit which fits under my hood. Thanks to all of you who have helped with all your posts.

Picture018.jpg[/img]

Thanks for all your praises. My water temp stays at 79-80 degrees. I will eventually get the fans installed.

The lights I got from Aquadirect. I had to do a little trimming of the reflector.

I have had the star from the beginning as well as the 2 damsels. I just got rid of my emerald crab..he was moving everything and twice a day I had to re-decorate the tank..got sick of it, so out he went. Star seems to be doing ok, I think he has enough algae to eat.

I do have a problem with the red slime. I have used the "red slime" stuff and even did a water change 3 days ago and this stuff still comes back with a vengence. If someone knows of a permanent cure..I would be appreciative. I have only done 3 water changes since I got the aquarium up...was given the lecture of water changes by someone this weekend at our fish club...I have converted!!

Meercat_Maric

I solved my red slime problem in my 75g by simply pulling out the sand that it was on and cleaning the slime off in fresh water. Then I replaced the sand, mixing it back into the substrate. I found this helped greatly, also I have a large sand sifting star in there, "he" keeps everything nicely turned so nothign has time to take root and settle.

for red slime problems check out this stuff, i have not used it but read good results

Ultralife Red Slime Remover

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additi...ife.asp?CartId=

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=Oceanblend

i dont see why they dont make smaler amoutns

the nano cube is so tiny ud prolly only use it 1 time and u could use that other cash for something else

Thanks for your info about the slime. I DO have that expensive red slime stuff..didn't help..so save your $$'s.

Specs are the original jbj, nothing new except the lights as mentioned above.

1 red star

eagle eye zoo

orange eye purple skirt zoo

green zoo

orange zoo

1 red, purple, mushroom

3 gree mushrooms

2 green hairy mushroom

sun star polyps

neon green star something or other

1 pink, orange, blue (looks purple to me) ricordia

1 red gorganian

1 pink leather

1 orange anomae (sp)

1 white feather duster

1 red open brain

1 pulsing zenia

and 1 green something or other

2 damsels

To reduce cyanobacteria (red slime), do one or more of the following:

1) do more water changes (this will reduce the nitrates, which the cyano feed on)--I change my water once a week in my nanocube;

2) reduce the length of time the lights are on

3) feed less

4) have more water circulation

Great looking tank, BTW.

Very nice! I just purchased a JBJ this past weekend and transfered my 25 hex into it. Im very excited hope mine looks half as nice as yours in the weeks to come. One problem I'm having though. I have alot of surface waste build-up. What do you do about skimming yours?

keep us informed about the grogonian. I heard that particular species tends to waste away even with feedings and strong water flow. This was a species I was interested in for a species tank, but more in the future.

I have just added some new family members to the tank this weekend. I think I'm finally finished stocking..except for some xenias then I will be done (for the most part)

Picture028.jpg

Keep us updated on the non-photosynthetics in your tank. Some people have a hard time maintaining good water quality having to feed them so much. Looks nice.

yeah, I just burried him in the sand, this way he will stand up and look pretty..I just found out I have those copopods they are all over my sponge in my filter and on my rocks, so now I got the six line wrasse. I am getting rid of the two damsels and taking them to the tank at work. I really don't want too many fish and this way it keeps my bio load down for more pretty things!!

Thanks for all your comments.

Cindy

Archived