Innovative Marine Aquariums

Crazy amoeba in my tank?

melissa4444

I have this crazy amoeba looking thing that has been scooting around on the glass of my new nano cube. It is all white and about the size of a dime. I cannot make out a head, tail or even legs for that matter. It is also a shape shifter! It forms a variety of odd shapes as it moves on the glass- roundish, squarish, oval, long - just like an amoeba. Any clues as to what it might be? I can try to get a pic this evening, but it is quite simple to describe I figured someone have an idea.

Melissa

well shoot............the bugger crawed up and got stuck to my magnet cleaner. Shook him off but now he has disappeared. I have lots of pods so i doubt that was what he was. This little critter was very flat and moved really slow, almost like a snail without the shell. He was interesting to watch so I hope he appears again, and I will take a pic. Perhaps a flatworm but I have never seen a dime size flatworm that could morph into a round shape.

I think Tempest has provided the best guess. I searched for Stomatella on web and found this pic:

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/StomatellaBottom2.jpg

I could never really see a head or antennae but then again I only saw its underside stuck up against the glass. Too bad he got stuck in the velcro of my magnet cleaner, I finally saw him twitching and all curled up in the sand :( Thanks for all the replies!

ApocalypticSurf6

I had found a ameoba looking thing in my tank water sample that I took to school and looked at under a micro scope, maybe you just have a freakishly large one?, mine was about 3mm across under the middle lens, I forget the exact magnafacation

Archived