Coral Vue Hydros

What do your clowns eat?

Drysocket

I've had two tank-raised perculas for a couple days now. I've tried Spectrum fish pellets, Shrimp pellets, and dead frozen brine shrimp. I haven't seen them eat anything yet. I'm starting to get worried.

If you have clowns:

What do they eat?

Do they generally feed off the bottom or the surface or somewhere in between?

How often do you feed them?

Many people have similiar problems regarding feeding within a couple days of buying the fish, so I wouldn't be concerned at this point. As far as what percula clownfish eat....

I feed mine Formula One flakes, Formula One frozen food, and mysis shrimp (once or twice a week as a treat). They usually eat the food at the top of the water, and interestingly enough, they now reconize me when I come to the tank to feed them-poking their heads out at the top of the water. Feed very little portions at a time, until they have been eating for 3min or so, twice a day. If you find they are not eating after another couple days, I would take them back to the store for credit.

There are many possibilities for why they are not eating...

1. the tank is still cycling

2. water parameters are not ideal

3. poor treatment at the LFS

4. MOST COMMONLY-stress from being in a new place

My last piece of advice would be to make sure the fish you want to buy are eating in the store before buying them.

My 2 False Perculas (Frick & Frack) will eat ANYTHING that falls into the tank! When I feed them, they jump up out of the water and nip my fingers as I am putting food in.

Give them a few days to acclimate and they'll eat! And eat ... and eat ... and eat ...

:P

They should start feeding within a day or two. You could try them on Formula 1 flake soaked in a little distilled water to rehydrate it and make it sink faster. While they do take food from the surface they seem to prefer the middle of the water column.

If they are not eating after 4 days from adding the fish to your tank, I would take them back to the LFS - pronto.

...i had the same problem...

...my clown pair didn't eat for about a week but finally they started to show interest....

...now (sadly there's only one now) the bugga eats anything that falls into the tank...

...the little dumbass takes about four tries to eat his own poop before he leaves it alone. but hell i still love the little guy...

Well, I went out and got some Formula1 last night. They actually ate a little bit, but just spit out most of it. They still seem to be active and doing ok. I'll try the Formula1 again tonight.

I had the same problem with my percs. I fed the Hikari small pellets designed for them, but no matter what, all they wanted was live brine.

I decided to make them fresh fish medly. I take some white fish, some raw jumbo shrimp, oysters, and scallops, blend them up until they are like a soup. Then, I put that mixture into a ziplock baggie, and lay it flat on a plate in the freezer for a few days.

At feeding times, i take a knife and trim off a section of the frozen blend and dissolve it in a cup of water from the tank. The fish go absolutely nuts for it, the shrimp love it too.

3 jumbo shrimp, 1 small piece of white fish (i picked flounder, I think), 4 small scallops and a couple of oysters....about $4.00 from my local grovery store. The mixture has lasted about 2 months so far.

i will often mix in the Kikari pellets, but try this easy mixture. My Cardinals love it too. And they were the pickiest of eaters.

I feed them omega one flake, frozen brine and mysis... they prefer and going nuts when I put omega one flake in, for brine and mysis, they just sort of wait till food floating close to them and eat (weird fish :).

Oh the other one they love to eat is those flim algae I scrubt out off my front and side glass. I try to do it slow and it come out as a pice, and they just swim right into it and seem to enjoy that everytime I clean up the tank. :D

My silly little clown has learned either my voice or his name or both.... I was really tired one night and didn't say hi to him when I dropped a couple of crumbles in. He ignored them. So I said "What's up, Muff? Not hungry?" and instantly he went to the food and munched one crumb. By then the current had blown the other one halfway across the tank, so he went to chase it, came back to the front of the tank to see if I was still there, went back to the crumb, nibbled at it, chased it some more, and finally ate the thing. But if the food sinks too far into the tank, he ignores it. :rolleyes:

His usual diet includes Nutrafin's marine max "pellets" -- the "crumbles", as they're shaped more like crumbs -- and OSI's Spirulina (and shrimp) flake, plus freeze dried plankton, mysis, and bloodworms. I try to give him vitamin-soaked food at least every other day, since he had an internal parasite and lost too much weight for such a little fish. I feed him 1-3 tiny pieces about 3-5 times a day.

Fish aint dumb....

they KNOW whats up.. I swear I cant EAT with out my Betta comming to the front of the tanks and begging..

OH,, and I Whistle like im calling a dog, my fish go Ape###### in the 37 collumn... DARE I show them the can of Omega one flake.. they splash the halide lense cover HAHAH

Archived