Pod Your Reef

Standard Firefish vs. Purple Firefish

Tigahboy

Firefish are one of my favorite small, docile reef fish. But I'm torn between the standard firefish and the purple firefish.

The purple firefish has way cool colors. A nice plus for me. But the standard firefish has that awesome long dorsal fin that spikes up; one of the main reasons why I love firefish in the first place. My LFS has both for same price and I can't choose. I lost my last firefish when it went thru my overflow into sump...but I've fixed that problem now, and ready for another.

What do you guys think? Any other pros and cons of each? Help me decide please. :)

I actually prefer the standard firefish, I had the same dilemma you had about a week ago and I went with standard and am very happy with it. He is swimming out and about more than alot of other firefish Ive seen in nano's.

I personally like the regular Firefish because of it's long fin on top. That makes it look really nice. But then again that purple does look pretty. But I say go with regular Firefish.

Originally posted by bravoreefer

I had a regular fish fish, but it jumped out of the tank and made himself from firefish to fish jerky X).

That sucks...so how did it taste?

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I want one so bad!!! I'd almost do one of each in my 20L since I still have no fish... I think they'd look great... Only prob. is the open top w/ the MH pendant... X__X Don't want fish jerky and not sure if it's worth the chance... :- I'd take a purple though if I had to pick just one... The Helfrichi is my favorite, but w/ that price tag, he's not worth the cash!

you guys have obviously never tried putting 2 firefish in a small tank. that's just asking for disaster. i personally really enjoy the purple firefishes color, but the high dorsal fin of the standard really does it for me. if you look long enough, you can find some standards that look very similar to purples, but if you're planning on buying online then you're sort of out of luck with that.

Archived