Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green Star Polyps

theANEMONEA

Does anybody know why my Green Star Polyps won't open? I have the adequate lighting, flow and everything. They were doing fine untill recently. They just kinda stopped coming out.

Dr. Saltwater

If you feed them especially ... they don't eat if they are not open ... the polyps won't catch anything ... so that isn't the thing that should be done

You say your lighting is "adequate" what does that mean??? I had GSP with light i thought was good enough and the same thing happened. I added more light and moved them up a notch and they were fine then. I was running 110 watt PC over a twenty tall and increased it to 220watt. Hope that helps!

Doc, they will come out to eat. I had a problem with cyano, and once I got it cleared up they still didn't come out. I fed my reef and they started coming out within probably two hours.

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by raciampa

Doc, they will come out to eat.  I had a problem with cyano, and once I got it cleared up they still didn't come out.  I fed my reef and they started coming out within probably two hours.

Hm .... well doesn't work for me. But glad to hear :)

I didn't think it would work either, but someone told me live brine will bring out the star polyps. May be the live brine tickle the openings of the GSP. I don't know, but it worked for me and it couldn't hurt to try.

ya know, for Kent Marine, i previously have used the essential elements, strontium/molybedenum, calcium, MicroVert and iodine supplements; all in vain with really no noticable results for the amount I paid. The TechCB does work well as I never had corraline growth until I used the stuff. The only other two products that I know to actually have a noticable effect would be the chromaplex (my purple gorgonian has become such a beautiful shade of lavender becuase of it). Went to the store where I bought it at and couldnt believe what the coloration used to lok like, lol. It came from a tank with three 175 watt MH's into a nano with only 56 watts. This goes as well for the Coral-Accel. The coral accel will make your soft corals take off like a rocket. My tank has been set up for only 2 months now, 1.5 months with corals. With only these two additives im using, I notice a drastic increase in growth, polyp extention and form, reproduction, and coloration on all angles. Really great products.

I have the same issue with a recently purchased GSP rock. They are all closed. They were all open in the LFS and I acclimated them for 1.5 hours

I have them in a JBJ Nano with the standard 26 watt lights.

Do you target feed them with the corel accel?

Thanks

SH

Undertheradar

Oh, Coral Accel doesnt do crap for them IME, and I use Coral Accel. I had GSP problems. I had them too far up in the tank, they ended up getting lots of light, and lots of flow. Then I moved the rock to a darker area...also happened to be not as high flow. They still wouldnt open... even ended up receeding and getting algae growing on them. So I remembered them always fluttering in the current, and I aimed a pump output right at them. They were back opent he next day and havent closed since.

Gave the rock to my cousin to help break in his new 40g (big ammonia and nitrate absorbers). He put it right under his 20,000K halide in an area that got...well, good flow. They were ok for weeks, and then one day wouldnt come out anymore....days went by. I told him to get it out of the bright light and put it right in most turbulent area of the tank he could. So the rock went down on the sand in the corner, right in the path of his sump return. They opened up over night and have spread like wildfire.

They need heavy flow. They need to get 'ripped up in the current', of course, in a wave motion is best.

Archived