Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hicker Crab ID please.

Cesar

I just noticed a Hicker in my rocks and looks like a crab. I cant load pictures here so I will somewhat describe him. 1) He looks scary. 2) He is black with yellowish strips on it's arms. 3) For some reason he looks as if he has hairy legs. (?) I have seen him on the rocks reaching out and grabing things from the rocks and places it on his mouth. Can he be a danger for my corals? I will try to post a picture in the gallery section as soon as he comes out of his hole.

wow i have a crab that sounds amazingly like the one you described; mine is dark brown, really hairy legs, and yellow stripes across his legs, spends all his time in/on the rocks and is slowly becoming less shy.. he is the biggest of a whole mob of hitch hiker crabs in my tank.. i think they eat coralline and other algaes - they demolished all the nice red macro on my LR.

have a look at his claws, if they look kind of 'flattened' and hes using them to scrape the rock, then i wouldnt worry about it unless you see it do something nasty... mine lives in the same cave as my tiny pistol shrimps, right next to my CBS and bi-colour blenny's favourite hang out, and they all ignore the crab

Archived