Top Shelf Aquatics

Prime 16HD settings for Anemones

1098NHI

1098NHI

I have a 32 Gallon JBJ rimless nano tank, with 2 AI Prime 16HD lights. I am struggling to find the best light settings, and have tried every Signature expert settings at AquaIllumination. None seem to address what my anemones are doing, which is closing up, and when they open their arms are just buds, maybe 1/8 extension. I do not have access to a PAR meter. Nitrates are low, can't determine any obvious water chemical imbalance.  I do a 20% water change every 3 weeks or so, mostly due to red and green algae growth which i manually scrub. I do have reef flux and other chem treatment to deal with the algae but would rather not subject the bubble anemones to that stress while I figure out lighting. 

Two questions:

1) Because I use 2 AI prime 16HD's, should I be reducing any suggested light settings by half?

2) Anyone care to share their succesful lighting percentages or signatures with me?

Appreciate any help in advance! I know there are very knowledgeable people here.

• Like 1
anizato

https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/signature-series

here, download from one of these people's tanks. 

I have had great success with anemones and sps with David Saxby's schedule, you will not regret it. Make sure to acclimate the tank to the new light schedule, maybe 30 days at least. I had one anemone that split 9 times in 7 years, always happy, took over the tank. There are many sponsored tanks to choose from on the AI website, but if you haven't seen David Baxby's tank on Youtube, do yourself a favor and look at his tank before you decide on a schedule for your tank 😊 you're welcome 😘

Anemones love high light. They will move to wherever they feel most comfortable.

For a 30 gallon you should be doing about 3 gallons a week, as opposed to 6 gallons every 3 weeks. 9 gallons vs 6 gallons in the same amount of time. 

You will want to get a hanna checker phosphorus ULR and their dKH reader as well. Do those tests before each water change and the day after, until you dial it down. You will want to repeat this testing process each time you change something in the tank, add equipment or add coral or fish, etc.

Also, can you post pics of the anemone?

• Like 1
mcarroll
On 5/24/2024 at 1:59 PM, 1098NHI said:

I have a 32 Gallon JBJ rimless nano tank, with 2 AI Prime 16HD lights. I am struggling to find the best light settings, and have tried every Signature expert settings at AquaIllumination. None seem to address what my anemones are doing, which is closing up, and when they open their arms are just buds, maybe 1/8 extension. I do not have access to a PAR meter. Nitrates are low, can't determine any obvious water chemical imbalance.  I do a 20% water change every 3 weeks or so, mostly due to red and green algae growth which i manually scrub. I do have reef flux and other chem treatment to deal with the algae but would rather not subject the bubble anemones to that stress while I figure out lighting. 

Two questions:

1) Because I use 2 AI prime 16HD's, should I be reducing any suggested light settings by half?

2) Anyone care to share their succesful lighting percentages or signatures with me?

Appreciate any help in advance! I know there are very knowledgeable people here.

Lux meters like the LX-1010B that I use are very inexpensive....I totally recommend getting one.  You can also get free lux meter apps for your smartphone, but IMO they are not as good – fun to use while you wait for the lux meter to be delivered.  🙂  Measuring your lights would eliminate a lot of questions.

You may have added your anemone before you or the tank were ready for it, BTW.

Anemones need LOTS of nutrients.  Availability of nutrients can be all over the place in a new tank.  Doesn't sound like you are equipped to test for anything but nitrate...and sounds like you are trying to keep nutrient levels low rather than trying to maintain good, healthy minimums.

If you're repeatedly dealing with algae, that tells me a few things.  Your cleanup crew needs to be improved or maybe expanded.  Remember to focus on herbivores, like turbo, trochus, astrea and cerith snails.....NOT on scavengers like hermit crabs and nassarius snails.  You might also be over lighting the tank.  AND your might also be starving the algae's main competitors if PO4 is too low....coralline and other critters should be increasing, making it harder for green algae to come in *everywhere*.

• Agree 1
geekreef_05

The biocube is about 19" tall, right? 

My waterbox 20G is 16" tall and my ai prime hangs about 8" off the top of the glass. Its set at 30% and im on the David Saxby program. 

This seems to be comfortable for LPS at the bottom and SPS at the top. I measured the par long ago but i dont remember the numbers.

Assuming your lights are about the same height off the top, I would recommend setting both lights to 35-40%. And start the 'nem in a low light with a 48-72hrs acclimation. 

Nems want to reach for the light, but they can also get burned if exposed to too high intensities.

• Like 1