Coral Vue Hydros

Tank move question

Sturgi_0225

Sturgi_0225

I’m getting ready to upgrade from an ada 60p to a 100 gal sca. 

I currently have about 60lbs of reef rock cooking in a tub outside. I’ve been adding ammonia to it and dr Tim’s one and only.  it’s covered in diatom bloom (also has a green tint) to it. 

if I add those 60lbs and everything from my current setup would it be safe to assume I shouldn’t have any issues with critter or coral loss? 

or is there a better way to go about the move? Any help would be great!! 

geekreef_05

Just test the water in the tub with the rock. If there's no ammonia or nitrite, should be ok. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 8:34 PM, Sturgi_0225 said:

I’m getting ready to upgrade from an ada 60p to a 100 gal sca. 

I currently have about 60lbs of reef rock cooking in a tub outside. I’ve been adding ammonia to it and dr Tim’s one and only.  it’s covered in diatom bloom (also has a green tint) to it. 

if I add those 60lbs and everything from my current setup would it be safe to assume I shouldn’t have any issues with critter or coral loss? 

or is there a better way to go about the move? Any help would be great!! 

If I've read that correctly, you're going to add 60 pounds of dead rock to your established tank?

How old is the established tank?

If I have that correct, then I think your concern could be pointing in the wrong direction.

Ammonia processing is already happening on your current rock.

In the new tank, water volume will almost double, but the livestock will remain the same – so the ammonia levels will be the same – so there's no real need for what you're doing in the tub.  (Do NOT add livestock when you're doing this move.)

However, the new rock WILL BE A PROBLEM for algae growth and other related issues.

It would be MUCH PREFERRED to add live rock, if you can find some that is relatively mature/clean.  (Unless you're into the cool/wild things that can come in as hitchhikers on fresh live rock.)

As for the move, just re-use all the water (and everything else too) from your current system....and of course be CAREFUL with your existing livestock.  If you have fish, it's ideal to use a container of water to catch/move them rather than netting them out of the water.  Almost no stress that way.