Top Shelf Aquatics

Need suggestions for setting up my fish tank

sandradavid

sandradavid

As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Staticmoves

Welcome to Nano reef!

seems like a multi faceted question.

there are many questions you will have to ask your self first.

1. Budget ( don’t go off the deep end here on your first tank. There is just no need.) ( simplicity in your first tank will pay you back in dividends).

2. time commitments. ( time available for maintenance tasks). 

3. Personal patience for learning.  ( learning curve for salt water at first can seem like drinking from a fire hose)

that being said, both are awesome in there own way.

AIO or All In One tanks are a great way to get into marine aquaria, with out breaking the bank.

ask many questions and cross reference the answers you get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 10:52 AM, sandradavid said:

As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have you kept fish or other animals before?  Also, do you only want fish or are you also interested in (eg) plants or corals?

If you are a total newb, I think I'd start out with a freshwater tank.  Danio's are my favorite fish....not the most colorful, but cool stripes, VERY hardy, and they're always moving.  They get along with just about any other fish too, even more aggressive one.  If you do that successfully for a while, you'll feel confident about what to do "next".  🙂