Top Shelf Aquatics

Remora skimmer & maxi jet 1200 pump flow rate confusion

BlueSander

BlueSander

Hi guys,

I have been using Remora skimmer for my IM Nuvo 50 for many years now. Last year, the max jet 1200 came with it died. I replaced with a Sicce Syncra 2.0 per recommendation of local fish store. Anyhow, ever since then, my tank has not been well. I started looking and got really confused by the rating for Maxi Jet. Syncra 2.0 is rated at 568GPH. Maxi jet 1200 is rated at 295GPH as powerhead and 1300GPH as circulation pump.

After reading different places, I think I need a bigger pump to match that 1300GPH. Is this correct?

seabass
On 4/14/2024 at 4:19 PM, BlueSander said:

After reading different places, I think I need a bigger pump to match that 1300GPH. Is this correct?

No, I don't think so.  I believe that you are looking at it in reverse.  The MJ1200 is rated at 295GPH as a pump (like a return pump), and 1300 as a powerhead in the display.  So if anything, I think you replaced the old pump with a stronger one.

Are you getting more (and lighter looking) skimmate?  You might have to adjust the level of the collection cup to compensate.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:19 PM, BlueSander said:

ever since then, my tank has not been well

What's going on with your tank?

• Agree 1