Top Shelf Aquatics

Noise affect?

Kelli44

Kelli44

We need to have our existing hardwoods removed and replaced. I’m told the removal will be extremely loud and am worried the affect it will have on our fish. They are in a 150 gallon tank built into a wall. But I also worry relocating them for days could kill them as well.

seabass

Make sure there is a top on your tank, as the noise/vibrations might startle them into jumping.  I might even turn the tank lights off during construction to help keep them more calm.

jservedio

Since it's in-wall you at least aren't going to have to worry about dust and debris. However, if your tank isn't isolated from the wall or the stand is attached directly to the framing and you didn't isolate the tank, I'd probably move it a bit to reduce the forces on the seams during removal. If it's on it's own stand just pushed against the inside wall, I'd partially drain it and nudge it back 1/4". If it's already isolated, you are good to go.

When they are removing the old floor, it's not the noise you need to worry about but the massive shaking and vibration - it's like a small earthquake and the further they get the worse it is (since they are removing literally tons of mass). When we had our hardwood removed downstairs, it knocked pictures off the wall upstairs, caused minor drywall seam cracking in the corners, and knocked stuff off shelves. I wouldn't want my full tank pressed directly against a wall moving violently like that without having some isolation. Especially if they are removing the flooring that is against the wall the tank is built into.

mcarroll
On 4/9/2024 at 8:07 PM, Kelli44 said:

We need to have our existing hardwoods removed and replaced. I’m told the removal will be extremely loud and am worried the affect it will have on our fish. They are in a 150 gallon tank built into a wall. But I also worry relocating them for days could kill them as well.

Are they doing something different than I see these folks doing on Utube?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=removing+hardwood+flooring

If what they're planning is similar to what's in the vids I saw (ie circular saws, crowbars and hammers), then I don't think you have anything to worry about....unless the tank is ON the flooring they have to remove.  (...but I don't hear you saying that.  🙂).  Put it another way:  If you'd be OK hanging out in the other room during the work, so will they.  It's probably only for one day, right?

If they're planning something different than circular saws and hammers (eg other power tools), can you post an example vid, assuming there is one out there, or can you at least elaborate in text on what they will specifically be doing to remove the old floor?

• 2 weeks later...
geekreef_05

Dude. This is a rough position to be in. Stuck between a reno and a reef place. But it happens.

The reality is that your reef is about to take on some risk. And the solution probably isnt a single torpedo. It should be a mutiflclacitied approach to minimizing risk.

Here is what i would do, below. Take what you want from this and i wish you the best of luck: 

0) I think the decision to move the reef inhabitants, or to leave them, is the place to start. Moving them is high risk. Leaving them in place is perfered.

I suggest preparing to move them if required into a temporary area and  using it only when nessicarly.

The will all feel the vibrations, no matter where they are in the house. 

I would consider setting up a rubber maid or other environment in your basement, where vibrations will be. Dont need much lighting, but ensure everything else is good (flow, heat, water chemistry). 

As things are ongoing, monitor your fish 

Take every other precaution possible...

..assume that debris is gonna shake loose and get into the water, and cover the top and sides to prevent dust and debris.

The sides could even be covered by sound proof curtains, which can be cheap on amazon. 

If your stand has open space below, get some vibration dampening pads off amazon too lessen the motion.

Even if you surround the stand in dampening pads on the floor with a little (10lbs) weight on them, it should absorb floor shocks before reaching the tank.

Dont mess with anything else in your regular routine, so fish are fed and tank is lit on the same schedule. 

The most important thing is to monitor your reef. Is the glass intact? Cracks or leaks?

Yes the fish are going to react. But are they eating? More agressive? Aggitated all the time? 

Keep regular track and if needed, move them to the basement setup you have already put together until the reno is done. 

I would cover as many bases as i can!

And remember. Renos always take twice as long as they say it does. Channel your inner boyscout and be as prepared as possible.

Goodluck!