Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Colton’s Red Sea Cube

Crawford_T

Crawford_T

Day 33, diatoms are showing up. I feel like I’ve had them bloom much earlier in the past, maybe my memory is deceiving me. We’re looking to add our first coral this week, I’ll update when it happens 

IMG_6864.jpeg

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef

Oh, we are rolling now! Now that I am thinking about it, 33 days does seem to be a bit long for diatoms to start showing up. I kept a log of most things on my previous 8g and documented diatoms showing up at day 16. Maybe it is a good thing they are showing up later (less perhaps, I am no expert)?? 

Nonetheless, now could be a good time to seed your tank with Copepods. 

Any first coral ideas? 

Crawford_T
47 minutes ago, AiredaleReef said:

Oh, we are rolling now! Now that I am thinking about it, 33 days does seem to be a bit long for diatoms to start showing up. I kept a log of most things on my previous 8g and documented diatoms showing up at day 16. Maybe it is a good thing they are showing up later (less perhaps, I am no expert)?? 

Nonetheless, now could be a good time to seed your tank with Copepods. 

Any first coral ideas? 

Right? That’s about the time frame I remember. This is the first time I’ve used Dr. Tim’s, also the first time I’ve dosed MB7 after the cycle so that may be part of it. 

Pods, yes! My LFS has a few options in stock, I’ll pick one give it a go. BRS is all about algaebarn these days, maybe a good option?

For starters I’d like to add a few different zoanthids to the base of the rocks, ricordia if I can find them. I’d also like some acans and blastos. I don’t want to get too crazy with LPS until the tank has a little time under its belt though. I feel like Zoa’s and mushrooms are a solid starting point. 

I’m also toying with the idea of macro algae in the display but haven’t researched enough to decide which types. I want diversity. 

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef

I’ve not ordered from algae barn, but might give them a try depending on what’s available at my LFS. I live in Houston so we have quite a few stores in the area. 

sounds like a good start with corals too. I’m the same, I always like to start with something other than lps in the beginning. I’m a sucker for ricordea and Rhodactis gardens. Looking forward to seeing it come together! 

• Like 2
Crawford_T

We have more life! Took the family to a few reef shops today to get our CUC. Sure enough we picked up 3 frags and a Fire Shrimp as well. CUC is 2 turbos, 2 nassarius, 4 cerith and 4 astrea. They also threw in some nice chunks of corraline algae that I’ll be crushing and seeding the tank with. Coral frags are, Duncan coral, purple toadstool (wife’s choice), and a small zoa frag “scrambled eggs”.

IMG_6904.jpeg

• Like 4
KC2020
On 5/7/2024 at 7:05 PM, Airedale.Reef said:

I’ve not ordered from algae barn, but might give them a try depending on what’s available at my LFS. I live in Houston so we have quite a few stores in the area. 

If you're in Texas why not try Dinkens Aquatic Gardens ? I've been very happy with their pods and phyto.

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef

Good selection of coral and CUC to start! Fire shrimp are one of the many reasons I got into the hobby! Love them, and glad you added one! 

• Like 1
Crawford_T

Everyone but the toadstool looks great today! I dialed the light back to 30% and have everything in the sand bed. 
here are some quick pics. 

IMG_6944.jpeg

IMG_6946.jpeg

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_6933.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_6947.jpeg

• Like 3
Crawford_T
2 hours ago, KevMax said:

Some lovely live stock there. The Duncan certainly looks well settled.

The Duncan started opening up minutes after it was set in the tank, I was impressed. Toadstool looks a lot better today as well. 

• Like 2
Crawford_T

I’m going to start mixing my own salt here soon. Anyone have any input as to what salt mix is their favorite? Anyone using Nyos Pure? My LFS swears by it. 

Airedale.Reef

Won't be of much help here as this is my first go around with mixing my own salt. Like you, I hauled back gallons of pre made water from my LFS for years. 

I decided to go with IO Reef Crystals for my tank for a few simple reasons...

1. Been around for decades. If it was truly bad, I doubt they still be in business. 

2. A few accounts that I follow on other social media use it/recommended it and have success with their tanks

3. Readily available almost everywhere (LFS, Amazon, Petco )

4. Cost Effective 

So far so good - As you know I do not have any corals in the tank, but the salt mixed clear (I did wait 24 hours), easy instructions, and no left over residue in my mixing bucket. The dKH measured at 8.7 - I was expecting a much higher based on some of the reviews I read, but for me so far so good. 

• Like 1
Crawford_T
4 hours ago, KevMax said:

I haves used RedSea for the past 10 years and more.  I think most brands are of good quality.  

I used the Red Sea Coral Pro last go around, never had issues with it. Looking at it now, seems like the alk is quite high. 

KC2020
16 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

I’m going to start mixing my own salt here soon. Anyone have any input as to what salt mix is their favorite? Anyone using Nyos Pure? My LFS swears by it. 

It seems to me that using the same salt mix your LFS uses and buying it from them would be a good way to build a nice relationship with them.

There's a discussion about it on another forum and everyone is saying good things.

17 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Won't be of much help here as this is my first go around with mixing my own salt. Like you, I hauled back gallons of pre made water from my LFS for years. 

I decided to go with IO Reef Crystals for my tank for a few simple reasons...

1. Been around for decades. If it was truly bad, I doubt they still be in business. 

2. A few accounts that I follow on other social media use it/recommended it and have success with their tanks

3. Readily available almost everywhere (LFS, Amazon, Petco )

4. Cost Effective 

So far so good - As you know I do not have any corals in the tank, but the salt mixed clear (I did wait 24 hours), easy instructions, and no left over residue in my mixing bucket. The dKH measured at 8.7 - I was expecting a much higher based on some of the reviews I read, but for me so far so good. 

I appreciate the input. I’d like to avoid dosing for as long as possible so I’ll be relying on water changes to replenish elements. That being said I’m looking for a salt that mixes close to natural seawater without any crazy elevations. BRS shows natural seawater as 420 Calcium, 7 ALK, 1280 MAG and yet most people shoot for higher ALK and MAG. Tropic Marin Pro looks perfect aside from the low ALK. Nyos seems legit too I’ve just never heard of them nor have I used them. 

Short story is, maybe I’m thinking too much but I’m torn on what salt. 

13 minutes ago, KC2020 said:

It seems to me that using the same salt mix your LFS uses and buying it from them would be a good way to build a nice relationship with them.

There's a discussion about it on another forum and everyone is saying good things.

That’s a good point. I’ll check out the other discussion. 

I have used a few salts over the years...

IO regular,

IO reef crystals, 

Fritz RPM,

Red Sea regular

Red sea coral pro. 

Basically i use whats available at my local reef store. And i would advocate for that, its way easier than trying to ship salts online, especially if your in a pinch and need salt quickly. And other folks have made good points as to other reasons.

IO used to be the gold standard back in the day. And people used it almost 10:1. Today there are many quality salts on the market now. 

My local store sells red sea coral pro, so thats what im using currently. And i like it. Mixes fast and clean. Strong high parameters, but i suppose that's to perferance. 

Looking forward to seeing how this reef continues to progress. Corals are looking nice! 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

I have used a few salts over the years...

IO regular,

IO reef crystals, 

Fritz RPM,

Red Sea regular

Red sea coral pro. 

Basically i use whats available at my local reef store. And i would advocate for that, its way easier than trying to ship salts online, especially if your in a pinch and need salt quickly. And other folks have made good points as to other reasons.

IO used to be the gold standard back in the day. And people used it almost 10:1. Today there are many quality salts on the market now. 

My local store sells red sea coral pro, so thats what im using currently. And i like it. Mixes fast and clean. Strong high parameters, but i suppose that's to perferance. 

Looking forward to seeing how this reef continues to progress. Corals are looking nice! 

Thank you. I do appreciate the ease of buying in store, not to mention no shipping cost. I think I’m going to give Nyos a try, still have to burn through 10g of LFS water before I start the transition with my weekly water changes.