Top Shelf Aquatics

Too much flow for my torches?

Amnemonemomne

Airedale.Reef

Based on the video, I see no issues with the flow. The torches will need sometime to settle in, and after that you should get a better understanding if it is too much or not enough. It appears you have them on the bottom left of your tank. You may want to consider moving higher in the tank based on your lighting...Not really enough information or video length to go off. If you are not seeing full extension in a few days, I would consider adjusting movement or flow. 

Amnemonemomne
1 hour ago, AiredaleReef said:

Based on the video, I see no issues with the flow. The torches will need sometime to settle in, and after that you should get a better understanding if it is too much or not enough. It appears you have them on the bottom left of your tank. You may want to consider moving higher in the tank based on your lighting...Not really enough information or video length to go off. If you are not seeing full extension in a few days, I would consider adjusting movement or flow. 

Yea I took the video when lights were starting to dim but I'll keep lighting in mind. Not exactly sure what full length is tho, is there a average tentacle length that I could go by to know if my torches are full length?

• 4 weeks later...
Airedale.Reef

You’ll be able to tell when your torch is out full extension vs receded (usually at night when the lights are off or if annoyed during the day). 

sorry for the late response…how are the torches are holding up? 

mcarroll

That vid made it look like there wasn't much flow there at all.  If so, they won't be too happy there.   But maybe the vid was misleading?

Can you post a full tank pic that shows your flow sources and lighting?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Amnemonemomne
On 4/27/2024 at 11:28 PM, AiredaleReef said:

You’ll be able to tell when your torch is out full extension vs receded (usually at night when the lights are off or if annoyed during the day). 

sorry for the late response…how are the torches are holding up? 

Green torch looks the same as in the video most of the time but purple torch isn't looking too good. I moved it up to top of my rock to get more light and maybe a little more flow because its location is next to in front of the outflow (it looked really good one day). I can't put photos yet but I can post a video later. When night time comes, is it ok if the torches are receded? Sorry I'm still new to this coral

geekreef_05

Yes. Receeding is normal night time behaviour. 

Could be a couple reasons why the torches dont look their best...

Feeding is one. 

Low Mg levels is another. 

Stinging each other, if they are too close. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
Amnemonemomne

Oh i thought euphillia were fine if they were next to each other?

On 5/1/2024 at 11:55 AM, geekreef_05 said:

Yes. Receeding is normal night time behaviour. 

Could be a couple reasons why the torches dont look their best...

Feeding is one. 

Low Mg levels is another. 

Stinging each other, if they are too close. 

Hope that helps. 

I'm feeding 5 or 6 pellets of my fish food to the torches when I feed my fish, I have frozen mysis though. Should i feed mysis instead?

geekreef_05
46 minutes ago, Amnemonemomne said:

Oh i thought euphillia were fine if they were next to each other?

I'm feeding 5 or 6 pellets of my fish food to the torches when I feed my fish, I have frozen mysis though. Should i feed mysis instead?

Its a common misconception. Some torches will tolerate others. Some will not. It can be a gamble. 

For Torches feed them reef roids and lps pellets. Once a week is enough. 

• Like 1
mcarroll

Move the pump – looks like the torch is currently in a dead zone as I only see the tentacles wave a little during the vid.

Try aiming the pump straight across the tank where it is currently placed, but experiment with placement if you don't get an excellent result.  

In general, a good starting placement for flow pumps is on a side wall 2/3 up from the bottom, and 2/3 forward from the back.  The idea is that's usually a space unobstructed by rocks or corals, so the pumps efforts will be maximized AND a nice undertow will be created along the bottom of the tank.  Usually the entire mass of water in the tank is moving when you have flow like this – which means there can be almost NO dead zones.   It's also more ideal to do this with two pumps rather than one, but you should be able to get good basic flow, even with one.  (I do recommend adding a 2nd pump when you can....opposite wall, both pumps on timers, so one runs, then the other, etc.)

• Thanks 1